[3830] RTTY Roundup W2V(N2FF) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2ff@optonline.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W2V(N2FF) M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:34:31 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W2V
Operator(s): N2FF
Station: N2FF

Class: M/S LP
QTH: East Williston,NY
Operating Time (hrs): 17

------------
   80:  156
   40:  144
   20:  245
   15:   51
   10:    0
------------
Total:  596  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 41  Total Score = 55,428

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

A serious but not full time effort. Seven more hours and I might have broken the
1,000 QSO barrier. I have yet to do that in ANY contest. I think I will have to
go SO2R to get there.

There was a conflict with HRU - Ham Radio University - held each January on a
Sunday.  It's a series ARRL NLI event of about 25 forums about different
aspects of ham radio and this was I believe the 12 year it was held. It drew
over 400 NY and NJ hams on a cold January Sunday with a lot of left over ice
and snow. If you missed KA2D,N2MUN and N2YBB in this contest it was because
they were heavily involved in HRU this year. I took a 3 hour break to show my
face and hand out an award to K2RIW. I would really have liked tostay longer
but the contest called.

W2V is a special event call that HRU gets each year for the event. KA2D, chair
of HRU 2011,asked meto use the callin the Roundup. There is a problem with the
call - some ops do not believe what they printed on their screen and want an
additiona letter. The led me to send my call 3,4 and 5 times sothey could be
sure they had it correct.  One station,a KH6,refused to work meunless I sent my
whole call. I think his message was, "No partial calls please!"  Luckily I got
him or another op a different band later.

QSL to N2MUN with sase.  See info on QRZ dot com. Logs will be uploaded to
LoTW.

Conditions were very poor Saturday. I had only one hour where the rate hit 40.
While Sunday, where I had to break away for over three hours (16,17,and 1800) I
had five hours at above 40 and one right at 50QSO's (the 1300 hour). I believe
there were a lot few EU stations on this year.

I had one major equiptment problem. Recent wind storms had blow the 17 and 15
meter reflector loops together at one spot and my SWR was intermittantly high
at times. It was man made QSB. I think I might have done a great deal better on
15 if I had been able to crankdown and tilt over the tower but not with a foot
of snow still in the yard to say nothing of the cold and wind that was not a
possibility.

Thanks to those who believed the W2V call and worked me.