[3830] RTTY Roundup AB1J Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AB1J Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:14:44 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:   85
   40:  249
   20:  188
   15:  123
   10:    9
------------
Total:  654  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 36  Total Score = 56,898

Club:

Comments:

Iâ??m relatively new to RTTY and I did this contest the previous two years
mostly to work new states and countries for my WAS and DXCC awards.  Now that I
have them I was going to skip this year but changed my mind at the last minute,
and Iâ??m glad I did.  Itâ??s a fun contest although I was hoping for more DX
mults.  I also learned about the practice sessions on Thursday and Friday,
which explains why I used to hear stations operating the contest on strange
days.  I thought they were confused, but, no, it was me.

I like the 24 hour limit.  I went 12 hours, took a fitful 6 hour sleep break
and finished up with another 12 hour stretch.

Some observations and anecdotes:

Only 102 DX stations, kind of low, which held down my multiplier count.

In the perennial competition between the Golden State and the Gopher State it
was MN 44 â?" CA 40 this year at this QTH.

Mostly S&P.  About 12% of my QSOs were running with the most success on 40M
where I have the best antenna.  Running netted me some good mults: DE (the
actual state, not â??deâ??), ME, GM, LZ.

No VT.  No problem.  I keep my expectations low.

80M was jammed here on Saturday night.  A very rough neighborhood.  I mostly
stayed away even though 80 is a nostalgic favorite of mine since I got my start
there as a Novice back in 1958.  A better antenna would help.

40 was my money band.  Thatâ??s where I worked most of the Sunday afternoon
rush from the casual ops who show up then just for fun.  Thanks for jumping in.
 Every QSO is important.  The score goes up with each one.

The few 10M QSOs were fun.  Iâ??d just scoot up there every 20 minutes or so
early Sunday PM, grab whatever I found and head back to 20 or 15.  I enjoyed
working all bands 80-10.

I worked K5DU on all five bands.  Thanks and 88.

I joined the RTTY@contesting.com reflector and found it to be a great source of
information, commentary and even humor.  Thanks everyone.

I upload to both LoTW and eQSL.  48 hours after the contest I had gotten 283
LoTW QSLs and 106 eQSLs.  Iâ??ve contacted the eQSL people a couple of times
about accepting Cabrillo logs but they are not interested.  I like both
systems, but wish there was an electronic QSL service that was good for any
award.

Station:
FT-2000 to attic dipoles 20-10
TS-940S to temporary outdoor wire for 40 and 80
MMTTY barefoot, RIGblaster Plus, old XP computer
Operator: 1942 vintage.  Creaky but serviceable.

I hope to see everyone in the WPX RTTY in February.

73,
Kermit (aka Ken), AB1J