[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2QO Limited Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, msadams60@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2QO Limited Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:12:48 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  153    41  Total Score = 7,011

Club: Coldbrook Contest Club

Comments:

Next year's VHF Sweeps will be AWESOME! Given the HIDEOUS conditions and weak
participation this past weekend, one must get in on the 2012 event because it
MUST be better.

For 2010, W2TAU and I did a LM at my home QTH due to a scheduling snafu that
limited rover setup. This year we scuttled the rover due to bitter cold WX.
Given the learning curve from last year, I figured we'd crush that score and
vault up a few places in LM. Man was I ever WRONG. Conditions were so bad that
we could not hear or work station on 222 and 432 that were only 30-40 miles
away despite decent antennas and power.

Prior to the contest, my main 2M radio broke leaving the station running on an
FT-817 that drove a brick to about 120W. Not a bad setup but I surely missed
the DSP noise reduction.

The contest highlights were breaks for dinner on both evenings. On Sunday,
AB2YI/R stopped by for pizza. The WNY rover crew normally does Sunday dinner at
the Italian place in Leroy, NY and we will hopefully be there on Sunday June
12th. When YI left after dinner his car thermometer was reading -11F, a new
record for the K2QO QTH (granted, the house was only built here 6 years ago).

In summary:
-Crappy propagation (the real descriptors cannot be published on a
family-friendly website)
-A broken radio
-Bitchin' cold
-Nice warm basement shack
-Great food, and
-A friendly frozen and hungry rover for dinner.

73, K2QO and W2TAU