[3830] CQ160 CW W7RH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, midnight18@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W7RH Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:13:19 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Arizona
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 518  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 33  Total Score = 143,352

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I went to the Arizona remote site Thursday to do some much needed work and
station check out. Propagation forecasts looked good for the weekend and things
were good to go. On a positive note things were looking pretty good after
several weeks of marginal or flat out terrible band conditions.

Friday operations was pretty much normal with the obligatory CQ'ing and a
better than average JA run in the early morning hours on Saturday. Over all it
was a good first night and was in the area of planning and expectations.

I tried to get in a good amount of sleep Saturday morning and early afternoon
but my bodies built in time clock just would not cooperate. I had more things
to do, but basically I just could not sleep.

I started listening to the band about 2:00 PM local time Saturday and decided
to join the Frey about 1.5 hours later. It's a tough decision to make as single
operator and especially low power. Many eastern stations are not listening west
at that time and I realized in the afternoon I was going to be both physically
and attitude challenged Saturday evening. I just did not have the energy and
spirit to call CQ for 8 plus hours. That evening to my amazement was one of the
finest EU openings I've heard in 40 years on Top Band from the left coast.I'm
sure the record books will be rewritten especially out west.

Congratulations to Gary N7IR,  whom in our local competition beat me for the
second strait competition. He gets my "Iron Butt Award" for being able to go
the distance in the dreaded slow night CQ'ing ritual.

For myself the joy was being there to get totally immersed in the S&P of EU
signals with a fabulous opening. I far exceeded any single sitting number of
QSO's. They were everywhere! The band closed to EU. I succomed to mother nature
and fell to sleep until almost sunrise.

Another wonderful event!

Bob W7RH