[3830] ARRLDX SSB WE9V SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WE9V SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:25:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   13    13
   80:   34    33
   40:  107    60
   20:  152    86
   15:  572   107
   10:  142    66
-------------------
Total: 1020   365  Total Score = 1,101,570

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I was quite depressed for the majority of this contest.  This
is the first time in 6 years that I've not been in the Caribbean
for this one.  Stuck in WI.

The good news is that this is my best effort from home for this
one.  The bad news is that this is only the second time in 20
years that I've done it from home.  Had a great string of
appearances:  6Y twice, PJ2 thrice, 6D2X, FS5PL, K9NS, K4JA
and a ton of times at KS9K.

Friday night started out horribly.  On top of the bad RFI I
suffer from, I had S9+ rain static and very high absorption.
Went to bed with only 114 Qs in the log and my head hung
even lower.  Got up Saturday and went right to 10M for a
short while, before I had daddy duty and had to take my
daughter to an activity.  First 24 hours only managed 406 Qs.
Sad.  Low bands, while no rain static, still seemed poor
from here and I quit for the even with only 479 Qs.

Sunday was a different story.  That story being 10M of course.
Most of what I heard was very weak, with the exception of
SV9CVY being S9+20.  His signal was amazing compared to others.
A bit later, the EA8's were loud, but not much else was heard
that qualifies as loud.  Managed only about 50 EU, some due
to finally CQing towards the end of the opening.

And then I dropped down to 15M around 18z and managed to have
a 130+ hour.  I was amazed at how many stations were calling
in that were 2.5 hours after their sunset.  That was neat.

Finished the contest pleased with a personal best, even if it
is only the 2nd time I've done it from home.

p.s.  Anyone want some company next March?  Drop me a line!

Chad  WE9V
http://www.we9v.com