[3830] WPX SSB VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:17:19 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:
   80:   53
   40:  253
   20:  246
   15:  333
   10:   22
------------
Total:  907  Prefixes = 527  Total Score = 1,482,451

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

* FT-2000 and SB-221
* N1MM Logger (unassisted)
* Steppir 3-el. at 47'
* 40M  -- Steppir dipole
* 80M  -- twin vertical array E-W

2011 -- SFI = 114   A = 1   K = 0
2010 -- SFI =  88   A = 7   K = 2
2009 -- SFI =  71   A = 3   K = 1

With sunspots in the 130 range by the end of the contest, flux hit 117 and the
high bands were open nicely. 15M was wide open to Europe both days, thanks to
low Auroral activity, rising flux, no significant flaring.

Still, score was down more than 500,000 points and Qs down by more than 250.
Mults were down by 43.

I hoped 20M wouldn't be so jam-packed with 15M wide open, but both bands were
stuffed full and finding a spot to run was virtually impossible. Had better
luck finding slots on 15M but still not much action when calling. The lack of
attention made it really hard to stay in the chair, so I ended up taking 10
hours more off-time than last year. Probably could have doubled my score had I
stayed in the chair a little longer at normally busy times.

As I heard commented a few times, it seemed everyone was running and nobody was
searching. I don't know where people were finding 3,000 Qs (at least from the
West Coast), but good for them -- the rate needed for that sure wasn't showing
up in my headphones, though.

Felt like strange conditions at times, when I'd search-and-pounce across 20M or
15M and work every DX station I heard, and receive comments about having a big
signal, then find a spot and CQ for ages with not a single response. Couldn't
even get much attention from Stateside.

While 15M was a pleasure, 75M was a huge disappointment. Qs down by more than
half there. Managed just 53 Qs but at least they included D4C and EA8. Couldn't
believe how poor the North America action was. I called CQ for a couple of hours
over both nights with virtually no callers. Then I'd search around and work a W1
or W4 no trouble at all. So it wasn't conditions as much as it was
participation. Guess most people were glued to 40M working the easier 6-point
Europeans there. Sure felt like a ton of missed opportunities for 4-point
slam-dunks on 75.

Thanks for the contacts.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org