[3830] HiQP K3FIV SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] HiQP K3FIV SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:58:55 -0700
                    Hawaii QSO Party

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: CA CM88eu
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:
   40:   1       4                         4
   20:   4       9                         7
   15:   3      10                         5
   10:   1       1                         1
Total:   9      24      0         0       17  Total Score = 816

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

My QTH is just a few miles from where the undersea cable from Hawaii comes
ashore, so I suspect I'm the station on the mainland which is closest to
Hawaii.  No one between me and them.  So how could I pass up that
advantage...!

Spent a few hours at the start of the HiQP and worked everyone I could hear.
KH6LC was by far the strongest on all bands, and the only station I heard on
10.  I didn't get a chance to work after dark at all, so nothing else on 40 or
80.

After that first burst of Qs, I checked periodically but only occasionally
found a new one.  Checked, but never heard anyone on RTTY or PSK31 on any band.
 I used spots, set for long hold times, but didn't see a single "new one" later
on Saturday or on Sunday.  Propagation was good - I could hear KH6LC almost
always on some band/mode, and several of the other contest stations, but not
much other activity.

I got the impression that there were quite a few HI operators on the air
through the contest period (lots of different voices CQing), but not a lot of
different callsigns.  I guess that's an unfortunate side-effect of the
popularity of the multi operations at contest stations.  E.G., a multi with 5
ops means that 4 out of 5 callsigns are never out there to be worked.

Fun though.  This contest is one of the very few where I occasionally get to
win a pileup with my 100W-and-dipole.  That 2300-mile saltwater waveguide just
down the hill from my dipole is a great station accessory.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV
Point Arena, CA