[3830] CQWW CW YR1C(@YO4NA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, yo9gzu@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW YR1C(@YO4NA) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:31:58 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: YR1C
Operator(s): YO4NA YO9GZU
Station: YO4NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Constanta
Operating Time (hrs): 47.6

  160:  107     7       42
   80:  283    15       67
   40: 1639    36      134
   20:  763    38      131
   15:  797    39      138
   10:  472    36      141
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Technically speaking, it wasn't a true M/S operation, but just two operators
playing a single radio by turns with the main target to be on air for 48 hours
- no multiplier station or interlocked S&P station. We had to spend a lot of
valuable time for working multipliers, so we couldn't afford long runs.
Combining short runs with fast S&P, sometimes alternating QSO, we rather needed
to adopt a SO1R assisted technique, but with 10 minutes rule limitation both for
running and multiplier bands. This is the reason why the QSO number is quite
low, but the final mutiplier paid off and we almost reached our pre contest
goal of 7 mil. pts. The down side are the numbers from 80/160m. Unfortunately,
here was not too much to be done in order to improve the score because the
contest QTH is located really down-town in Constanta, one of the biggest cities
from Romania, and we always have to fight with severe QRN plus the lack of
available space to built more than a single inverted vee for 80/160m.

The contest was quite exciting and we are really happy with the result, a new
YO record. In the same time, we had an amazing and thrilling race with Ionut
YP9W (YO9WF). We changed QSO numbers and score at every 3 to 6 hours, a fine
limit constantly motivating us to pursue and try to beat the other side.

One lowlight is that we couldn't establish any good run in 10m and 15m during
daytime hours as we would have expected, the upper bands closed too early for
us here in the Balkans, and this is partially reflected by the achievement in
40m moneyband, where nightly rates were much bigger.

YO9GZU operated remote from Bucharest, several hundred kilometers away from
Constanta. Some minor internet connection problems left us about 20 minutes off
the air, but no other serious issues occured.

Station setup:
Hardware>
IC 7800 + ACOM 2000
OptiBeam OB18-6 for 10-40m
InvVee for 80/160m

Software>
N1MM Logger

Remote control for YO9GZU>
TeamViewer (desktop control)
Skype (audio)
Ham Radio Deluxe (radio control)
ACOM (PA control)
Home made antenna switching box software

See you next contests!
Tibi YO9GZU
Cornel YO4NA/YR1C