[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2teo@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:20:26 -0800
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  371    71
    2:  411    41
  222:  101    35
  432:  131    35
  903:   36    16
  1.2:   43    12
  2.3:   19     9
  3.4:    1     1
  5.7:   13     7
  10G:    2     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1031   230  Total Score = 401,350

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

A nice surprise to have 6M E-skip both days during the contest. The opening
Saturday was very narrow with perhaps a dozen stations worked. All were loud
but not many were heard. K5QE was s9+ for a long while for much of the
afternoon. Stations were worked in TX, AR, and OK first and later the band
opened to VE1 and VO1 for a few contacts. Sundays opening was more widespread
with many stations worked mainly in FL, GA, TN, AL, and MS.

The other bands were below average most of Saturday, fairly normal most of
Sunday (as the wx warmed up), with local enhancement on Sunday night. Plenty of
loud stations then but basically all within 250 - 300 miles so it did not have
any real impact. Activity dropped off a great deal once the football games
started and especially at night when the Giants -49ers game was on. I have to
admit I had my head turned watching the tv a good deal of the second half
too...

2 of my bands stopped working for the contest. First 3.4 ghz was lost - the rig
would not go into xmit. I'm guessing the PTT ground become dislodged up on the
tower. I could hear fine but could not xmit. On 10g the rig was working early
on but seemed to stop xmitting on Sunday. I could hear stations fine but could
not be heard. At 8 points a pop those 2 bands have  a big impact in the January
contest.

I did look for Au quite a bit knowing that there were alerts. I finally heard
K1TOL on 6M cw with an Au buzz early Sunday evening. I peaked him up on and did
manage to work 5 stations on the AU, all relatively local. On 2M I could hear
KA1ZE s9 via AU, called a bunch of CW CQ's on the heading he peaked but could
not raise anyone. Seeing the other reports I gather it was better in the
Midwest - in the NE you had to be further north than my QTH to get into it.
Still, it's been years since I worked my last AU so it was nice to hear the
familiar buzz sound on the handful of sigs I heard.

Tnx for all the QSO's and espcecially to the Packrats who do a great job
bolstering activity here in Northeast.

73, Jeff K1TEO