[3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:20:22 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   12     6
   80:   18     7
   40:  166    45
   20:  247    47
   15:  201    45
   10:   10     7
-------------------
Total:  654   157  Total Score = 102,678

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

SO1R Gear:
* FT-2000 + N1MM Logger
* SteppIR 3-el. at 27'
* 40M SteppIR dipole at 27'
* 80M 2-element wire vertical array
* 160M inverted-L over six 80M radials on ground

SFI=139 A=7 K=1

Awesome domestic conditions on 15M. Not so good on 10M, and 20M was average but
quite useful.
For months, I've suspected something wasn't quite right with the 80M twin
vertical array. Tonight, I figured it out: the control wire to power the
East-firing relay isn't working. Hence, I had West-only RF, and tonight that
hurt a lot. If you look at a map of North America, you'll see not much of NA is
west of BC, hi.

I was able to get one east-coast contact with W2FU in NY using the twins in
broadside configuration, but that's a mostly North-South pattern, so he was of
the side of that wide figure-eight. Really disappointed by 80M tonight. Had
almost as many mults on 160M using a very compromised inverted-L.

Still, the high bands made up for what the low bands couldn't provide here.
Enjoyed a major leap in personal best for August NAQP, cracking 100,000 points
for the first time (70,400 was my previous high). Very happy with the big
increase in Qs and mults, thanks to 15M being so wide open all day.

Happy as a clam with that outing. Thanks to all for the contacts!

Sunday will be set aside for fixing the 80M array so I'll have better luck next
time.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org
http://va7st.ca/home.html