[3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:10:10 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 92  Total Score = 628

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Spent half an hour on Friday afternoon before RAC Winter making some changes to
the 160M inverted-L.

It is fed using a Hygain 18AVT/WB all-band vertical with about six 50' radials
on ground. The 160M wire is attached to the aluminum housing of the 10M trap.
The wire runs for 30' at a 45-degree angle, then straight up to a 67'-high
catenary cable (slung between Ponderosa pines) before sloping down to 40' or so
at the far east end. A bit of a zig-zag to be sure.

Friday, I connected one 50' radial to the chainlink fence around the back yard
(about 150' of fence). Quite a stretch of the fence is closer to the vertical
portion of the wire than the radials under the actual feedpoint (the
aforementioned all-band vertical).

It seemed to have improved things a great deal. This was my third-best outing
in the Stew. FN and FM stations heard me (somehow), and copy was quite good on
the E-W unterminated 260' Beverage.

Did not get on the air until fairly late Saturday evening. Put in 3 hours off
and on, ending at about 2 a.m.

Best and only DX was KH6LC.

The reward for those who worked me from the Midwest and further East is the
multiplier for hearing my 100W. Thanks for braving the QSB to make the
contacts!

-- Bud VA7ST