[3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 07:37:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:  372    47
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  372    47  Total Score = 51,888

Club:

Comments:

In past single band 160 meter ARRL International Contest SSB events a WAS (48)
and the northern border rim Canadian Provinces were easy to work.  This year
the top band activity seemed way down except for the big guns looking for
another multiplier.  Very little was heard from the West Coast except a few
stations were worked about their sunset. Missed some normally very easy states
like OK, NV, MT, BC, SK, and AB. In fact that the many AZ stations were not
heard at all until one was worked on Sunday morning. Part of the lack of some
good runs was due to the fact that XT2TT was commanding CW pileups for those
seeking a rare TB new country. Many were lurking for Ken K4ZW on from Z81Z in
Southern Sudan. The second night TX5K showed up on 160 with a strong signal on
CW from Clipperton.  The lesson learned is that DX-pedtions to rare spots and
contests rarely mix well.  In short why try to even work me when you can bag a
new one on 160 meters? It is important notice that both DX-peditions and SSB
contests are not all that compatible on 160.  How would you like to a have a
once in a decade chance of working a new DXCC country on 160 destroyed only to
have the band covered with highly over processed SSB splatter from some super
powered stations playing .wav files nearby?

I had also KP2MM on 20 meters SOSB and on some Beverages antennas I got some
de-sense when Yuri transmitted.  In this case I took off the pre-amps and also
inserted KD9SV's band pass 160 meter filter.

Setup:  Icom IC-7410, Alpha 87A, 85 foot tower, cage feed, with 30 foot
stinger.  RX Antennas 600' DX-Engineering ladder line Beverage NW and 900 foot
KD9SV WD1-A Reversible WNW.