[3830] SS SSB VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 05:49:18 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 14:50

------------
  160:
   80:   62
   40:   62
   20:  394
   15:  394
   10:  104
------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Spent less time than last year, but the hours were more productive. Used 2012 as
the benchmark, and ended the first night about 50Qs behind and a couple of extra
mults missing still. Needed ME, DE, MS, PAC, EWA, NL, ONE and SK when I went to
bed at 0700z.

Didn't bother with an alarm, and slept fitfully and longer than I expected --
back on the air at 1600z with the high bands already crackling with activity.
The hunt was on for the missing mults. Rather than actually searching and
losing out on rate, I set up on 21422 and started calling with the beam pointed
due east to catch the eastern Canadian provinces. Here's how things flowed...

MS at 1717z
ME at 1742z
ONE at 1749z
DE at 1754z

I was down to EWA, PAC, NL and SK. Two of those were going to be real tough on
the short hop. At 1820z, I decided running wouldn't get them, so I combed 15M,
and landed WA7LT in EWA pretty much on backscatter (sidescatter?) about 10
minutes into the search. Figuring I might have a chance at PAC on 10M, with the
coffee mug refilled, at 1915z I went to look around and found KH6CJJ very
quickly -- it's easy to hear KH6 when it's the only signal on the band while
pointed due west. Flipped the Steppir around and swept across the band. Heard
NP4G calling, and almost went past him as the path wasn't that strong, but I
tossed out my call anyway. He heard me, and seemed very happy to find BC for
the sweep.

I moved down a bit and started calling to see what I could work across NA. At
1939z I had one of two great moments of fortune when VO1GO called in -- he was
just poking around to hand out a few NL mults, working in the low 20s still. I
could hardly contain my gratitude.

Down to just SK remaining. This was going to be the needle in the haystack for
sure. Which band was short enough? Which band would a Saskatchewan ham be
running in the early afternoon, and what were the chances they would be aiming
at BC at any given time? Pretty slim, I figured. Rather than search, the better
strategy would be to find the band that W0s were strongest on, and start CQing
like crazy pointed due east. I found a spot at the low end of 20M and began the
mission at 2000z.

Last year, I completed the sweep at 2130z. This year, it took an extra 15
minutes and was the product of the weekend's second great moment of fortune --
during a 137-station run at 2145z or so, VE5KC called in. He had just got on
and handed out a serial number in the low 30s. Total luck that he was on,
pointing my way, and willing to jump in. Sweep.

After that, I just loafed along, took some breaks I shouldn't have, etc. Ended
up with 14:50 on-time, which is five hours less than last year. Qs were only
down by about 200 and score down by 40K, but I still felt like the outing was
fun and full of action. Managed to boost the Q totals from last year on 40M and
75M, but not by very much. 15M and 20M were exactly equal in Qs totals (not by
design, just happened to quit at the same number on each band). 10M was not as
good as last year, when I opened with 200 Qs out of the gate; this year, the
band was kind of flat and mostly focused on the southeast from here.

Had multiple contacts for all sections except singles for MS, PAC, SK and VI.
The NT lads were out in force -- thanks fellas. Also big representation from
MDC and SCV. I think I worked every licensed ham in those sections (I wish).

Now for a four-day week in advance of CQWW CW -- Friday and Monday are
protected on the work calendar, so barring an emergency I will be well rested
before and after that marathon, my favorite of them all. Get the keyer warmed
up. See you out there.

-- Bud VA7ST

 Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec
   3.5      62     124    5
     7      62     124    2
    14     394     788   11
    21     394     788   40
    28     104     208   25
 Total    1016    2032   83
Score: 168,656

Year-over-year (raw)...
2013 SOHP 15hr  1016     83      168,656
2012 SOHP 20hr  1210     83      200,860
2011 SOLP 14hr   667     80      106,720
2010 SOHP 11hr   554     73       80,884
2009 SOLP 16hr   500     74       74,000
2008 SOHP 16hr   753     78      117,468
2007 SOHP 11hr   421     77       64,834