[3830] WPX SSB KG1E SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alexjoz2@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KG1E SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 06:58:17 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KG1E
Operator(s): KG1E
Station: KG1E

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Mass
Operating Time (hrs): 33

------------
  160:    2
   80:    9
   40:   46
   20:  207
   15:  250
   10:  453
------------
Total:  967  Prefixes = 531  Total Score = 1,443,258

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This week's exciting adventure began innocently enough with some late night
operating on various bands this past week.We were casually operating after work
at about 2am local time on 20 Mtrs. After we tried to QRT after each QSO there
were dozens of stations calling, so kept at it until almost 6am well past our
bedtime. Band conditions were excellent to Europe and Asia when the band should
 usually be dead. Tried some more operating on 15 and 10 the next few days with
the same results. Most signal reports were mind boggling such as "30 to 40
Db over 9 Old Man". Tried low power and still got reports of "20 Db
over 9" and even QRP reports of "59 to 59 plus 10". This got us
thinking why not try QRP as we have operated in almost every other category
such as SOAB HP, SOAB LP, SOAB(A), and SO AB Trib/Wires. After checking out our
antennas and making some last minute changes we were ready to give it a try.Not
expecting much on the usually noisy 160, 80 and 40 Mtrs, we decided to
concentrate on 10, 15 and 20 and hope for the best. We started on 20 Mtrs and
found a "wall" of stations from Europe calling CQ and getting NO
REPLIES, so we just started calling and got through to all of them on first or
second call, reaching 28 in 34 minutes.
The next hour was beaming south on 10, 15 and 20 and back to EU on 20 for
another hour. Moved to 40 and 80 and picked up some locals and a handful of DX
with some "good ears", then back to 20 for some more EU until
daybreak.
1100Z to 1300Z were mostly on 15 Mtrs, with 10 not really opening here until
1300Z or so. Stayed on 10 until 1700Z and moved to 15 until 1900Z when we went
back to 10 which was still open at 2000Z when we went back to 15. The next few
hours were spent working stations to the south, not thinking to check for
Asia.
Sunday 20 was already open when we woke up at 6am, then 15 and finally 10 was
already open at 1200Z so we thought "what the heck" and called CQ in
a clear spot and actually worked 25 stations in 10 minutes until we were
stepped on by
a European who asked if the freq was in use but could not hear us so took over
our freq. Oh well. The rest of the day was a slow process of sweeping the band
from 28.3 to 28.9 which of course took forever looking for new stations we had
not worked as yet. Conditions on ten were great and it was unbelievable that we
heard stations from Northern Europe that we NEVER hear (TF,OX,OH,LA,OZ) and they
were 30 Db over 9! including VU2RCT. Basically we were on 10 from 1200Z Sun
until 2100Z when we were still hearing EU on 10. Amazing. Asked a few people
what our true signal report was and received replies of from "S3 to 59
Plus 10".Swept 15 and 20 until 2230Z when we heard JA's blasting in on 10
and ended up working 30 JA's and 2 VK at the very end. Heard BY and HL but
could not break the pileups.Not much rare DX and only ZS9 and 2 Morocco from
Africa.

We had a great time all weekend with a different experience from the usual of
running stations with High Power and thanks to all those with great ears that
heard our weak signals, and the many volunteers who support the WPX Contest.