[3830] OnQP VE3ZF M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OnQP VE3ZF M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:29:22 +0000
                    Ontario QSO Party

Call: VE3ZF
Operator(s): VE3ZF VE3KAO VE3HZQ
Station: VE3ZF

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Manitoulin Island
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   13       8    20
   80:   36      43    55
   40:  179     266   179
   20:  102     480   131
   15:   72     437    98
   10:   34      17    23
    6:
    2:            3     1
---------------------------
Total:  436    1254   507  Total Score = 1,124,526

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This year’s expedition to Manitoulin Island has surprisingly asserted itself
above its predecessors, as a summit of defiant obstructions and feral in all
elements association.
When I called my friend that lives on Manitoulin, 2 weeks prior to Ontario QSO
Party 2014, I first learned of the massive snowfalls that have buried the area
in 4 feet of snow. My friend informed that the constant wind dropped the
temperature to -14 degrees, and that my usual dedicated area for setting up
antenna was impossible to use. The only redeeming news was that there was a
tractor at hand, which is used to clear the path to my cottage. I had my
fingers crossed that perhaps some compassionate deity would have cleared the
foul weather by the end of the fortnight, but this was not the case even
temporarily over my week long stay on Manitoulin.
I spent the majority of the week in snowshoes, which didn't simply become
standard footwear, as much as an extension of my appendages. Failure to embrace
this sudden change in lifestyle, meant that you would at least once put your
faith into a particularly solid looking path and fall straight through, with
your lower body suddenly swallowed by several feet of snow.
So during the course of the week, wearing snowshoes, I was installing phased
verticals on 40 and 80, Inverted Vee on 160 and assembled Spider Beam on high
bands. I would like to particularly note that the ‘half a person worth of
snowfall’ made the installation of the antenna an incredibly difficult task
to accomplish, which I somehow managed with only my own 2 hands.
Finally, at the end of the week, I was graced with arrival of my friends
Patrick VE3HZQ and Igor VE3KAO. With our labor combined, we managed to raise
even more antennas: G5RV, Cushcraft AP8A, 2 beverages 160 meters each and
erected Spider Beam to 10 meter's height.
In hindsight, the Ontario QSO Party was great, I especially enjoyed the by
multi-hours EU's and W's pile-ups on 40-20-15 meters. Multiplier on low bands
was collected mostly by Patrick VE3HZQ. Last hour was remarkable as well
�" Igor VE3KAO did a lot W6 on 10 meters CW.
I would like to give my thanks to the W6-clubs �" their activity was very
helpful during OnQP.
The miserable weather and difficulty setting up aside, our LOG counted 1690
QSO's at the end of Ontario QSO Party.
On top of that, not even hours after OnQP finished, Murphy’s Law once again
demonstrated the degree to which it is a tangible force to be reckoned with, by
raising the temperature into the positives and beginning to melt the mounds of
snow. It was unfortunate that for entire week I had to put up with the
sometimes difficult weather conditions that had befallen me, but at the end of
it I feel accomplished knowing I got the results by my own abilities and will
power.

I would to thank Max VE3CCN for his great help during preparation to our
expedition.

Also thanks to all, who called us during Ontario QSO Party 2014 and see you
next year!

73! Igor VE3ZF