[3830] RAC Day VA7ST SOAB/CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VA7ST SOAB/CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 02:44:36 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB/CW HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    1              1
   80:    4              3
   40:   98              8
   20:  210             11
   15:  180              7
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  493     0       30         0  Total Score = 71,040

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Ouch. An M-class flare plus a Tuesday running equalled a very slow second 12
hours. Things were red hot out of the gate on 20M, and that helped propel the
score to a second-best-ever (2009 was better).

Without the good start, this would have been a lousy outing as high numbers for
flaring activity, aurora and A-index meant the high bands weren't strong and the
low bands were terrible.

Thanks to Gabor VE7JH for moving me from 40M to 80M and 160M on Sunday morning
for my only BC mults on those bands (and only mult on 160M). Better check that
the vertical array hasn't fallen apart.

Thanks also to VY1RAC for the lovely surprise call on 15M, and the VO1s (HP,
RAC and UL) on 20M. Sorry to miss you on the other bands.

RAC, please do away with the 6M and 2M VHF bands in this event. They give
home-province mults free for the taking, but only if you're near a metro area
or on the vast unbroken prairie. Not very do-able from the remote depths of a
British Columbia valley. I'll wager that throughout the history of this
contest, most who claim those mults never work more than a few line-of-sight Qs
to get an extra pair of home-province mults. What a curiously skewed feature for
an event celebrating a country as geographically diverse as this. Let's dump the
locals-only benefit and make this an HF contest so we can all be in the same
game.

Unless I get the 12-element 2M yagi in the air. Then never mind.

Thank you to all who jumped in for a few Qs, and those who were in for the long
haul. Nice to work quite a few JA and European ops when 20M and 15M were
cooperating.

Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks. Looking forward to DL-DX RTTY this
weekend, then IARU HF World Championship and WRTC the following weekend.

Also looking forward to the Pacific Northwest DX Convention later this month.

http://orcadxcc.org/vancouver2014

-- Bud VA7ST

2013: 493    30         71,040 HP
2013: 467    28         61,432 HP