[3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 04:12:34 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8Q
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: DELAWARE County
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:    7     0
   40:   20     0
   20:    4     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   31     0  CW Mults = 21  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 1,302

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Something (still unknown) was "sucking RF" from this place.  I was
using a "sloper" antenna 53 feet length, and later, 84 feet long
(used an antenna stretcher to see if longer length would work better.  The 84
foot antenna was configured as an end fed inverted vee.

Signals were always weak.  I brag about my antenna at home, as "being a
few dB better than a dummy load buried 6' underground, but in this case, a
dummy load probably would have done just as well.

Until some stores closed down about a block from my daughter's place, the noise
level was a bit higher than I'd have liked, especially with weak signals.

I was one of 5 who volunteered for W1AW/8 - this was a disaster.  I think I
made a whopping 5 or 6 Q's in 4 hours of transmitting into neverland.

But, I may have made my goal - to set a new record for QRP operation from
DELAware county, since to date there has been no QRP entry from DELAware
County!

With such as high bar being set, it should be possible for someone to eradicate
it with little effort, given an antenna which actually radiates. :)

Note - operating only cW was not the goal - but when I tried SSB I made zilch
Q's.