[3830] TxQP W5CT Multi-Op Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP W5CT Multi-Op Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 04:34:12 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W5CT
Operator(s): W5MJ K5PI
Station: W5CT

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:   459   138
   20:  1223    65
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1682   203      0  Mults = 142  Total Score = 813,684

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Madison and I did our third TQP mobile adventure this year and had a great time!
 After two years of wrestling with RFI to almost everything -- including the
vehicle �" Madison decided it was time to trade in his Jeep.  His new
2014 Chevy Traverse was a dream �" smoother ride, zero vehicle RFI, big
gas tank, and lots of cigarette lighter power plugs.    But of course it
took a good bit of work to get it ready for HF mobile.  Madison got the antenna
mounts adapted for the new vehicle, set up grounding straps, routed a bunch of
cables, got the radio and other gadgets mounted, etc., etc.  I worked on the
route,  software setup and wrestled with a wireless serial port adapter that we
ultimately didn’t use.  We did a couple short test runs before TQP, fixed a
few bugs, and felt very ready to go.

We modified our last year’s route somewhat, to start from Brownwood so as to
give us more time in the rarer northern counties.  We also added in a few more
county line stops.  We had a few challenges staying on schedule, but we were
able to catch up on Saturday.  On Sunday, we fell 40 minutes behind and
didn’t make to Falls and Mills counties as planned.

We were delighted to have very few technical issues this year.  In spite of our
testing, 15M RFI crashed our computer twice in a row, so we focused exclusively
on 20 and 40.  We had a little RFI into the Winkey on Sunday afternoon, but a
reboot finally took care of that.  We’d spent some time refreshing our skills
with the CQ/X software, so we were able to hit the ground running.  Thanks again
to NO5W for a fine program and outstanding support.

This year was a substantial score increase for us, both in QSOs and mults.  I
think the key must have been Madison!  He did about half the operating this
year, as opposed to about a third last year.   He had some serious rate
working, especially Saturday afternoon on 20 CW.   Good show, OM!  Next year,
I’ll work on teaching you a good Texas drawl so you can work more SSB.  
Robert K5PI