[3830] CQWW CW 3B8MU M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 3B8MU M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 16:39:55 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 3B8MU
Operator(s): G0CKV M0CFW OH1VR OH2KI W6NV
Station: 3B8MU

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Roches Noires
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:    35    13       34
   80:   203    24       60
   40:  1021    32       96
   20:  2938    40      147
   15:  3543    38      140
   10:  3166    38      126
-------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

My traditional family holiday (w/o radio) in 3B8-land was considerably extended
this year and radio was included on the agenda for the first time. 3B8HA did a
minor appearance in CQ SSB; there was a 10-day visit to Rodrigues as 3B9HA;
then back to 3B8 for CQ CW where some friends joined me as 3B8MU. With 5 ops, 3
XYLs, 3 pairs of K3/KPA500s plus a spare K3, M/M would not be the most strategic
choice but we simply wanted to maximize our flexibility and fun and our ability
to hand out what for most probably was a rare double multiplier. An alternative
focus on SOSB on 10-15-20 would have given us super scores. SOSB on the lower
bands would not have been quite as good.

We rented a house close to the beach. On a piece of land not bigger than 35 by
35ft we squeezed in our flimsy antenna farm near the beach. An 18m Spiderbeam
pole supported two parallel inverted Ls for the low bands. A 12m Spiderbeam
pole held a 40m vertical, another 12m Spiderbeam pole was used to support a 20m
vertical dipole array and on 15 and 10 smaller light poles also held vertical
dipole arrays. (Note to self for next time with the VDAs: think through a
better scheme to rotate the VDAs.) Strong winds necessitated frequent rework on
our antenna farm.

The low bands were challenging because we were so far away from the main
population centers. An RBN or cluster spot on 80 turned our fq into mayhem with
incessant callers destroying it for everyone - what is the logic, the thought
process behind that behaviour? On the other hand we were too weak to break the
pileups of others on 80/160.

Nobody points their beam in the 3B8 direction. When NA beams Europe they by
accident point also to 3B8 but that's it. Breaking the pileups of European,
Caribbean, North and West African and Pacific multipliers was next to
impossible or took much effort.

Condx were great of course. We had tremendous fun - a very rewarding contest
experience with ~3k qsos on 3 bands.

After the contest on Monday afternoon Patrick, 3B8GF, the President of MARS
(the 3B8 Radio Society) and Jacky, 3B8CF and his son 3B8GL and Clive 3B8CW
joined us for a relaxed and friendly gathering.

Thanks for the QSOs and thanks to Oliver W6NV, Seppo OH1VR, Jorma OH2KI and
Kazu M0CFW - experienced operators who know how to handle  a pileup. Thanks to
Ann, Outi and Anniki, the XYLs of W6NV, OH1VR and OH2KI for suffering our radio
antics during the weekend.

73 Olof G0CKV 3B8HA, 3B9HA, 3B8MU

BAND      QSO  CQ DXC   POINTS
  160      35  13  34       97