[3830] TBDC N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:11:13 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 3
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 126  Total Score = 470

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This report is for my daylight only operation.

>From Southeast Arizona the sun is nearly one hour high in the morning sky at
the time the contest starts.  50 minutes of operation yielded 26 Q's; 11 LESS
than 37 Qs last year.  In 2012 I made 33 Qs during this morning operation.

In the afternoon I started at 2230Z for 1.5 hours of operation before it was
sundown and time to start my N5IA core operation.

The conditions were decent, but not nearly as good as last year.   60 Qs were
made with K1LZ being the most distant; a good 8-pointer.  Krassy called in at
2255, a full one hour and 15 minutes before the sun set at my location.  Last
year, 2013, I made 51 contacts during this period (more FM & FN stations),
and in 2012 I made 55 Qs during the same period of time.

At 1400Z I again resumed this daylight operation.  45 minutes of time as
relatively 'New Meat' put another 44 Qs in the log.  Not bad.  Last year, 2013,
I made 31 contacts during this period, and in 2012 I made 31 Qs during the same
period of time.  BUT, no DX other than Lloyd, KH6LC.

The recap is as follows:

2012 = 118 Qs and 504 points, with 3-JAs and 3-KH6s in the log.  KH7X was
logged at 1444Z.

2013 = 118 Qs (yes, exactly the same as 2012) and 544 points, which was helped
by working 5-JAs and 3-VK6s while I was in hard daylight after sunup.

2014 = 126 Qs and 470 points, and only KH6LC for DX.  The conditions were so
poor that I copied Lloyd's call sign as K5BLC at first. I had been working weak
W5s while the antennas were pointed east, so my mind was reading another W5.

So, IMHO, the propagation this year was significantly poorer overall than the
two previous years.

And all of this has to be taken in the context that 2012 and 2013 operations
were with a single vertical element.  This year, 2014, that single element had
7 sisters to assist with the TX duties.

73 to all; thanks for the Qs, and I apologize to those whom I could copy well
enough to decipher your call sign or GS exchange.  I still have power line
noise to deal with.  That is the next project; to improve the receive noise
floor now that the TX capability has made me a true alligator.

CU all in CQ 160 CW in 4 weeks.

Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP