[3830] Commonwealth VE3BR Restricted-24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3br@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VE3BR Restricted-24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:10:29 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: VE3BR
Operator(s): VE3BR
Station: VE3BR

Class: Restricted-24 LP
QTH: FN03es
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
   80:   21
   40:   72
   20:  101
   15:   72
   10:   27
------------
Total:  293  Total Score = 3,845

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Radio: Ten-Tec Jupiter
Antenna: DX-Eng 80/40 Thunderbolt 55ft Dual Band Vertical
Software: N1MM Logger+ 1.0.4778.0

My very first time in BERU. Overall a nice experience, but Murphy has never
left the building. I had to work through the night until 90 minutes before the
contest. Then tried to catch a short nap and overslept. Started late, still
found VKs and ZLs on 40 m in almost full daylight, but unable to get through;
managed a few the second night on strangely fluttery signals. The second night
had a computer crash that wiped out several Qs. Between latest saved log and
calling stations again with weird questions like "what was our time and
your exchange in our 80 m Q?" I managed to restore the log. Some guys were
"a bit surprised", but helped nonetheless. I lost significant time on
that. In general, didn't manage operating time well and went over 12 hours, so
have to enter 24 hours category.

Used VE3KI's N1MM+/N1MM export/import/rescore trick to correct the score (in my
case N1MM+ overestimated by 180). Thanks Rich.

Finally, it is a jungle out there, but SeppIR drums carry much better through
this jungle than a single vertical drums. A vertical has its advantages though:
you never have to point it in a specific direction...