[3830] IARU YN5Z(K7ZO) SOAB(A)SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU YN5Z(K7ZO) SOAB(A)SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:50:39 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: YN5Z
Operator(s): K7ZO
Station: YN5Z

Class: SOAB(A)SSB HP
QTH: Nicaragua
Operating Time (hrs): 19:30

  160:   0        0     0        0
   80:   0        0     0        0
   40:   0      173    16       39
   20:   0      765    32       41
   15:   0      463    22       32
   10:   0        1     0        1
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     1402    70      104  Total Score = 816,234

Club:

Comments:

When I committed a couple months ago to make our next visit to YN around the
IARU contest my intent was to make it a fun contest weekend. I had never
operated in the IARU contest before and was looking forward to its 24 hour
format -- as compared to the grueling 48 hour marathons of the major CQWW and
ARRL contests I have done before. I also had never operated in Nicaragua in
July before and did not know what to expect of the propagation. However, I did
suspect that putting up my 80/160 antenna would not result in many QSOs for the
half day plus of work it takes to put it up. So, in the spirit of a fun content
weekend that antenna stayed in its storage case. (A full description of my
station can by found on the YN5Z QRZ.COM page.) I also used this visit to
continue the diagnosis and repair of my Elecraft KPA-500 amplifier in
preparation for the fall contest season. The amp died prior to the ARRL 10
Meter contest last December and the Elecraft team suggested I replace a couple
of parts -- which I did and the amplifier is working like a champ. Thanks to
the Elecraft team for their help notably in remote diagnosis and repair. I
really did not want to haul that back to the states from its happy home here in
YN.

As a side story one of the great things about this trip has been the weather.
Though in the "Green Season" period with a passing shower or two
every day -- the temperatures have been the most comfortable we have ever
experienced. Compared to the string of 9 days over 100 degrees we had in Boise
right before we left -- this is just wonderful. Who would have thought we had
to travel south, to 11 degrees North of the Equator, to cool off. What a crazy
reverse snowbird migration this has been. Also, with the regular cloud cover
the normal blazing sun of "Dry Season" is held in check. From a
weather standpoint this has been some of our best ever.

In the spirit of a fun contest weekend my pre-contest planning was minimal --
other than to bring down maps of the ITU Zone boundaries in the US, knowing I
would be helping many US operators discover their ITU Zone number. This
preparation proved to be time well spent as I helped many operators with my
"Real Time Zone Lookup Service". This is one of the aspects of
operating from an out of the ordinary QTH in that I get many QSOs from
non-contest or very casual contest types. Historically my log check reports
have a pretty high number of uniques as a result.

Also in the spirit of a fun contest weekend I decided to operate in the, new
for this year, Unlimited categories. I figured if running rates dropped off at
least I could have fun chasing down HQ stations and other multipliers. This
turned out to be a great decision as I had plenty of time to point and shoot
packet spots.

However the competitive spirit in me could not totally ignore things since I
really did not know what to expect propagation wise during a full 24 hour
period. A small amount of pre-contest operating showed the high bands to be in
relatively good shape - notably 20M in the evening was outstanding, 15M was
solid, though, as expected 10M was marginal with only 1 QSO to Europe and none
to JA. I spent no time on 40M but from past experiences knew that it can
magical at the right times.  I sat down with VOACAP Online for an hour and
charted openings to key parts of the world. From this I developed a general
operating plan scratched out in pencil on piece of paper. So, at the clock
struck 1200UTC off I went on 20M beaming generally toward the US and Japan.

The first hour was solid with 139 QSOs in the log. Rates were respectable
though not at CQWW or ARRL levels. I expected this knowing that IARU does not
have the same participation as the major contests and also, more importantly,
that half of the operators were operating CW. I also knew from my pre-contest
planning that I would experience a period of "Morning Doldrums" as
20M died from solar absorption impacts and before 15 and 10M opened in northern
directions. This played out as my second hour was only 73 QSOs and I checked 15M
toward the end of the second hour. Hmmm -- no one home. I went out and rotated
the antenna toward ZS and South America as VOACAP suggested this is where the
opening should be. Remember that antenna rotating is a totally arm-strong
method for me. Untie a couple of boom guys, loosen the lower clamp on the mast,
rotate mast, tighten the clamp, retie boom guys. It is a several minute process.
But, ok -- CX1AA goes in the log on 15. Unfortunately that's it. Rotate the
antenna back north and back to the only game in town on 20M with declining
rates. Only 35 QSOs on 20M in the third hour. I check 15M beginning at 1430 and
the loud HQ stations from Europe are coming in though not a peep from North
America. During the next hour I make only 20 QSOs on 15M mostly with stations
in Europe all S&P. The first North America station does not find its way
into the log until 15:07.  This is not quite playing out the way VOACAP
suggested.

Finally around 15:45 15M opens to North America and I can get a run going. At
some point someone comes on as make a comment to the extent of "where did
everyone go?". I sure didn't want to hear that. A quick look at the SWPC
site does not show any transient event, just a slightly elevated A/K numbers
but no storms. But, things sure don't feel good that is for sure. In the 1500
hour I make only 32 QSOs, the second lowest of any hour in the contest. And, in
total one of the 11 hours under 60 that I had during the whole contest. Feast or
famine -- that what it was.

VOACAP suggested the 15M would gradually open to Europe as my morning
progressed and moved into early afternoon. Pre-contest operating had shown nice
solid openings on 15M to Europe and I expected this to play out. However, the
solid 15M Europe opening never really came. The longest run of EU stations I
had was three. The vast bulk of my Europe QSOs were with countries on the
northern Mediterranean. I spent the vast majority of the middle part of the
contest calling CQ on 15M, slowly working North America, with a few European's
calling and while picking off new multipliers that showed up in the spots. 15M
peaked during the 1800 hour when I finally managed my second 100+ hour of the
contest. Then it was back into the doldrums. During the 1900 hour I even went
back to 20M, desperate to find any opening even though VOACAP basically said
"don't do that". The big Europe HQ stations were audible and I
checked them off, for lack of anything better to do. I had originally thought
they would be easy to get in the evening opening, and they would have been, but
at least this kept me entertained. After I worked the stations I could on 20 I
was basically in a vacuum. During the 2000 hour I hit rock bottom with only 28
QSO's. During the next 5 hours I averaged 48 QSOs per hour. Though VOACAP and
my pre-contest operating had shown that 10M would open during this period it
never did. My lone 10M QSO was with ZW0HQ who was loud here for several hours.
Other than him I did hear snippets from a couple of VK stations later in the
day but could not raise their attention. That was it for 10M. And, to parallel
the weak 15M opening into Europe, there really was not an opening to Japan
either. Only JA4DPL found his way into my log on 15M.

Now all I could do is hope that the bands would improve into the evening after
the sun set. 20M had been outstanding in the evening and I thought "well
at least I can have some fun during the last few hours". As I waited for
this, and just after my sunset, I decided to check 40M for the first time.
VOACAP had suggested the Europe openings would not be until a couple hours
after my sunset, but my experience is that I can hear and work Europe on 40M
earlier. Sure enough when I checked 40M at 0045 the band was in great shape,
with all the Europe HQ stations pounding in. The band was also amazingly quiet
with just a hint of QRN and the noise level was around S3-S4. 40M can be just
magical from here and this was one of those times. As I have said, "With a
2 element 40M beam from here I could rule the world". But, all I have is a
full size vertical. With that all the loud stations were quickly in the log
with one call and many surprised operators on the other end at how loud I was.
I tried to get a run going, but I just don't have enough signal strength to
run. I don't have the loud signal stopping power required. Later in the evening
when I was running on 40 mostly into North American, and had been spotted, I had
quite a few European stations call in. But, they have to know I am there. I was
also amazed that many of the Europeans were calling in well after their
sunrise. In some cases 2 hours or more. That is one thing I have learned over
the years is that 40M does not die at sunrise but can be quiet good for a
couple of hours.

After playing on 40M, 20M finally did break wide open during the 0200 hour and
I had a 154 hour, mostly with North America and with a few Europeans here and
there. This was my best hour of the contest. Then knowing I needed to get back
to 40M for Europe I spent the 0300 hour there with some nice runs of both North
America and European stations coming in and with some good multipliers. The 0400
and 0500 hours were split between 20M and 40M. During this period the 20M
opening kept getting better and better with stations calling in from North
America and all across Europe. I could sense this was going to be one of those
20M evening openings I have always hoped for. After getting chased off my run
frequency by what seemed to be a childish practice of someone playing an
endless "CQ Contest" loop with a bogus call, I settled in on 14295
right around 0600. Within a few minutes UP4L, VK5PAS and JA7BEW called in and I
was now working stations across the whole world. I have had this happen to me
only a couple of times before and when it happens it is just of one of those
operating periods you live for and remember for ever. For 45 minutes I had the
whole world dropping by. The 0600 hour was the second best of the contest with
147 QSOs. Then as the 0700 hour approached the Europe opening closed down from
East to West with the last few QSOs coming in from Western Europe and the UK.
Then around 0715 the Japan opening closed down and the last few folks still
awake in North America called in. And, that was enough for the evening. If I
had stayed up I would be stuck on 40M for most of the rest of the contest. The
only propagation would be to the Americas and hardly anyone was still awake and
on the radio. Likely I was faced with making 20-25 QSOs an hour for the next
several hours and that just didn't sound like fun. So, I pulled the plug and
called it a contest.

In summary I have a few thoughts about this IARU contest from YN5Z
* Yes I had fun. The high rate periods were a blast and the 45 minute period on
20M when the whole world was calling made the whole contest. (Sort of like when
you play golf. It takes just one good shot to make you want to come out and
play again, regardless of the rest of the round.)
* However, these were also the hardest 1,400 QSOs of my contest career. 11 of
the 20 hours I was on the air were under 60 QSOs. What a grind.
* I am sure glad the contest lasted only 24 hours -- I definitely would not
want 48 hours of this fun. But, I imagine I better get prepared as this is the
sort of contest the declining solar cycle holds.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs. I QSL 100%. All the information is on my QRZ.COM
page.

Scott/YN5Z/K7ZO

==============
Here are some stats

QSO/ZN+HQ by hour and band

 Hour    40M PH   20M PH   15M PH   10M PH    Total     Cumm    OffTime

D1-1200Z    -    139/12     -       -    139/12    139/12
D1-1300Z    -     73/7     1/1      -     74/8     213/20
D1-1400Z    -     35/2     8/8      -     43/10    256/30
D1-1500Z    -      5/1    27/13     -     32/14    288/44
D1-1600Z  --+--   --+--   71/7    --+--   71/7     359/51
D1-1700Z    -       -     53/5      -     53/5     412/56
D1-1800Z    -       -    100/1      -    100/1     512/57
D1-1900Z    -     14/13   21/6      -     35/19    547/76
D1-2000Z    -     26/10    2/2      -     28/12    575/88
D1-2100Z    -      2/1    48/1     1/1    51/3     626/91
D1-2200Z    -       -     72/3      -     72/3     698/94
D1-2300Z    -      4/4    38/5      -     42/9     740/103
D2-0000Z  18/17    1/1    22/2    --+--   41/20    781/123
D2-0100Z  18/10   17/4      -       -     35/14    816/137
D2-0200Z    -    154/5      -       -    154/5     970/142
D2-0300Z  57/10     -       -       -     57/10   1027/152
D2-0400Z  21/7    50/1      -       -     71/8    1098/160
D2-0500Z  59/2    62/3      -       -    121/5    1219/165
D2-0600Z    -    147/9      -       -    147/9    1366/174
D2-0700Z    -     36/0      -       -     36/0    1402/174

Total:   173/46  765/73  463/54    1/1

         40M PH  20M PH  15M PH  10M PH   Total      %

    NA     104    499    358      0     961    68.5
    AS       1     54      8      0      63     4.5
    OC       1     11      6      0      18     1.3
    AF       1      3      3      0       7     0.5
    SA       7      7     12      1      27     1.9
    EU      59    190     76      0     325    23.2

         40M PH  20M PH  15M PH  10M PH   Total

    4O                     1              1
    4X              1      1              2
    5B       1      1      1              3
    9A       1      4      1              6
    9K              1      1              2
    9Y       1      1      1              3
    A4                     1              1
    A6              1      1              2
    BV              1                     1
    BY              1                     1
    CE              1      3              4
    CM              2                     2
    CN       1      1      1              3
    CT       1      3      2              6
   CT3                     1              1
    CU              1      1              2
    CX              1      3              4
    DL       5     26      4             35
    DU              1                     1
  E5/s                     1              1
    E7       1      2      1              4
    EA       2      6     15             23
   EA6              1                     1
   EA8              1      1              2
    EI              1      4              5
    ER                     1              1
    ES       1      2                     3
    EU       1      2                     3
     F       1      8      6             15
     G       2     10      6             18
    GM       1      2                     3
    GU              1      1              2
    GW       1      1                     2
    HA       2      7      2             11
    HB       2      2      1              5
   HB0       1      1                     2
    HC       1                            1
    HI       1      1      1              3
    HK       1      1      1              3
    HR       1                            1
     I       5     24     15             44
    J6                     1              1
    JA             45      1             46
     K      89    442    328            859
   KH2              1                     1
   KH6       1      2      1              4
    KL              6                     6
   KP2              1      1              2
   KP4       2      6      2             10
    LA       1                            1
    LU              1      1              2
    LX       1      1                     2
    LY       2      4                     6
    LZ       2      2      1              5
    OE       2      4                     6
    OH              4                     4
    OK       2      4      1              7
    OM              1                     1
    ON       2      7      1             10
    OZ       1      2                     3
    P2                     1              1
    P4       1      1                     2
    PA       1      3                     4
    PY                     1      1       2
    S5       2      3      1              6
    SM       2      3                     5
    SP       5     15      5             25
    SV              4      2              6
    TA              1      1              2
    TG       2                            2
    UA       3     12      1             16
   UA2              1                     1
   UA9              1                     1
    UN              1                     1
    UR       3      8      1             12
    V4       1             1              2
    VE       6     34     22             62
    VK              5      3              8
  VP2M              1                     1
    VU                     1              1
    XE       2      6      2             10
    YB              1                     1
    YL              1                     1