[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:02:36 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 13.3

  160:    0     0
   80:    5     4
   40:   42    19
   20:   39    17
   15:  171    57
   10:   55    29
-------------------
Total:  312   126  Total Score = 117,936

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Murphy hit and he hit hard. I came down with the flu on Friday, despite getting
my shot well ahead of time, and I'm still not over it. In 26 years of contesting
this is the first time that has ever happened!  Hence the 13.3 hours of
operation.

The story of this contest for me was 40 Meters:

10 meters: Heard only one European in the contest, CU4DX (I had to check to be
sure that Azores counts as Europe!). He has great ears and heard my 5 watts
right away!

15 and 20 Meters: Nothing special here. Sunday was wide open into Europe on
15.

40 Meters: The story of this contest for me was 40 M. I usually work 8 or 10
JAs and a few Caribbean stations and count that as a job well done. But I 40
stayed open well past sunrise and I got 18 JA stations and even BA5CW on one
call! To the east, I actually made it into Europe getting YL3FT, SM0BRP, RU1A,
and ES5Q. It took me two years to get into Europe on 40 the first time, so this
was a banner night! Also CR3W.

80 Meters. I was able to bag two JAs plus a few near Pacific stations.

DXCC for my 13 hours was 67, and WAZ was 24. 25% of my Qs were in Europe, but
that was helped by my operating only during peak Europe conditions!

Special thanks to my XYL, Janet, for all her supportive help in the symptomatic
treatment of this lousy viral illness.

See you in the ARRL DX Phone in two weeks!   ....Bill   W8QZA - W6QU