[3830] CQ WW RTTY VC3S M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, egan.dennis88@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VC3S M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:23:54 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VC3S
Operator(s): VE3EID VE3JI VE3AJ W1UE
Station: VC3S

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 48

   80:  338       47      41    13
   40:  642       50      93    30
   20:  991       52     108    35
   15:  450       28      90    27
   10:    7        2       6     5
------------------------------------
Total: 2428      179     358   110  Total Score = 3,955,116

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Had fun chasing K1SFA all weekend.  Although outgunned with hardware, and facing
a decided geographical advantage, we hung in there and were competitive until we
lost our Mult amp Saturday night.  At that point we started falling behind with
no hope of catching up.  Congrats to the K1SFA team for a nice score!

The last Canadian CQWW record from 1999- VY2SS MS score of 3.693meg- may have
just fallen.  We beat that score by 6.6%, so if the UBN gods don't reduce our
score by that a new Canadian MS HP record will be in the books.

We saw many stations spotted on 10M this weekend, but heard very few.  We did
manage to work 2 stations on 5 bands: P49X and NR4M.  That was it.

Station Setup:
Rigs: IC7300 (FSK generated by MK2R+) and K3 (FSK generated by TinyFSK)
Amps: HF2013DX, Alpen
Antennas: (All on 1 Tower) KT36XA@105ft, 40M-4 @ 95ft, 80M Dipole @80ft, OCF
dipole for 40/20/15/10 @ 50ft.
Triplexer and HP BPFS: VA6AM Design.
Logging: N1MM+
RTTY Decoders: 2Tone Selectiv, 2Tone Flutter, MMTTY, Gritty

We were VERY pleased with the performance of GRITTY.  It often decoded 100%
when no of the others would.  We varied the BW of the radios from 400-700Hz,
depending on conditions, with both being at 700Hz most of the time.

This was also a first session with the high power triplexers and BPFs built by
VA6AM.  They worked quite well with 1500 watts of RTTY at probably better than
a 50% duty cycle, at least on one band.  We had no interaction between
20/15/10m when both were using the KT36XA, and often there were close to 3000
watts of RTTY going from the triplexer input to the antenna. No failures, no
signs of heating in either the boxes or the coax to the antenna.

Thanks to Ian VE3JI and Jim VE3AJ, for joining us.  The extra hands worked out
well.  And a big thanks to Rudy VE3EID (N2WQ) for hosting our weekend.

Dennis W1UE