[3830] SS SSB VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 06:58:27 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:
   80:   22
   40:   96
   20:  430
   15:  154
   10:
------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Had to miss the 40M primetime Saturday night for father-in-law's birthday. Had a
good time with family, but missed the crucial EWA mult that usually depends on
early close-in paths that are gone when things stretch out later. Didn't hear
EWA at all anywhere. Even hunted 75M in vain until 0800z.

Went to bed at 0800z with 260 Qs and 68 mults. Got everything but NL (none
heard), EWA and NNY -- and man, did I ever try to find them. Worked every 2 I
ran across, and picked thm out of the lineups, but none worked. I even followed
a NNY up the band on 20M and parked ahead of him for a quick CQ, but no luck.

That 8 in the check 82 sure ruins the fun. But after years of unsuccessful
fiddling with the mic equalization, I think I figured it out on Sunday. Had far
fewer repeat requests (like, almost none) after switching from the Heil DX
element to the full-range element in the ProSet Plus. Will see next year.

Thanks to all the guys who jumped in for a few -- you make this one so great.
Also special thanks to the NT operators for being there. Worked two, and VY1AAA
seemed to be everywhere both days. Heard him several times 10-over with no
callers on 20M and 40M. Wonderful to hear such a strong and consistent presence
from the far north.

Thanks to VE7NY and VE6SV for hanging in for the difficult lone Qs from BC and
AB.