[3830] CQ160 SSB K5GDX Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K5GDX Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 18:32:49 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K5GDX
Operator(s): WQ5L K5DL WD5BJT KA5VFU
Station: K5GDX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 411  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 19  Total Score = 79,650

Club: GSDXA

Comments:

TX: 195' balloon-lifted wire, 1KW
RX: 4-square, Beverages NE, WNW

We didn't fly the balloon the first night due to risk of high wind and
lightning with a frontal passage. Only made a handful of Qs with a low sloper
then called it a night, as most folks were getting pounded with QRN and
couldn't hear us.

Second night the balloon went up and stayed up. This time we used a longer wire
with matching network at the base, instead of the 1/4 wave. Despise a stiff
north breeze turning it diagonal rather than vertical, it seemed to work quite
well. On the flip side, RX was challenging due to noise, so I hope we weren't
too much of an alligator.

All 50 states were worked (missed DC and NB). DX conditions not nearly as good
as CW weekend or as the SSB test last year. CU in the next one.