[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:33:58 +0000
CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Sep 20

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Van Buren Trail SP
Operating Time (hrs): 0:40

------------
  160:   0
   80:   0
   40:  16
   20:   0
   15:   0
   10:   0
------------
Total:  16  Mults = 16  Total Score = 256

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Best Laid mice of plans and men often go astray.  That was today.  I went to Van
Buren Trail State Park in/near Hartford, Michigan, in plenty time to get set up,
or thought I so.  Anyway, when arriving at Hartford I noted that the trail head
was flanked on one side by a metal working facility on the east side, and a HV
distribution center with 240 KV (guesstimate) line feeding it.  So, I
remembered from other trails that within 3 miles or so along the trail was
considered OK, by MSPOTA regulations, so I went to a spot 1.9 miles from the
trailhead and set up.  But, Murphy struck, and it took over 30 minutes to get
things together.  I had planned to set up by 1830, but didn't make the first 5
minutes or so of the CWT.  Bummer.

But, conditions were great on 40 meters, and enough of the SO2R crowd was
active at the beginning on 40 meters, so I managed the minimum 10 Q';s in the
first 20 minutes or so.  I was using the J-38 Hand Pump because my computer
keying circut failed and I haven't replaced it yet.  Somewhat a surprise, I had
a run of 5 or so using the hand pump "run" at about 16 WPM.  That
pleasantly surprised me.  A slow speed and QRP to boot.