[3830] CQWW SSB DL6FBL(@DR1A) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bernd.fd@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB DL6FBL(@DR1A) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:15:17 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: DL6FBL
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: DR1A

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: JO31CQ
Operating Time (hrs): 46h40

  160:  210    11       61
   80:  602    16       89
   40: 1109    34      124
   20: 2005    38      133
   15: 1398    37      143
   10:  234    22       74
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Thursday morning I decided to drive the 380km to DR1A after a long absence. I
found most of the antennas still working somehow, but spent the rest of
Thursday and most of Friday to get the rest of the station halfway running.
E.g. two computers had defective power supplies; two monitors, a network switch
and two of the old Yaesu FT-1000D's needed replacement. Two other computers have
defective LPT ports (still used for PTT). Now using the PC voice keyer meant
stepping on the footswitch at the same time... I also wanted to check the
Beverages, but suddenly it was Friday night and it was dark. (I should have
better done that, because it turned out that something is wrong there...)

Doing a Single OP from DR1A Multi/Multi station is real Radio *SPORT*,
especially in the Assisted class. Each band has its own room. If a multiplier
shows up on another band, the operator has to run "to the other band"
(room) over half the basement, quickly work the multiplier, and run back -
hoping that the Running Frequency "is still there"... ;-)
Sometimes I was lazy though. Especially on Saturday afternoon during 15m USA
prime time I ignored the 20m mults. So the 20m mult is too low.
However these runs kept me awake, and I got through the 48 hours without sleep.
Win-Test shows 46h40 operating time, so the other 1h20 were spent on station and
operator "maintenance".
Therefore I finished just under 10 million points...

Apropos 10 million: if I now was even able to make 10 million from
1-point-location Germany, maybe this year somebody else in a 3-point-location
finally crashes my 14-year-old World Record in the Assisted category??? (9Y4ZC
2003, 14.9M)

Memorable moment: Sunday around 16z I found 10m reasonably open to South
America, and decided to call CQ there (before almost S&P). This produced a
good rate of SA's, EU's, and multipliers for some half hour. At some point I
went through my mind and thought of possible multipliers still to call in, but
South America was almost complete (just missing zone 10 and some zone 9). More
down South I only thought of VP8, namely VP8NO. And what shall I say? Only 20
seconds after this thought VP8NO called in. I was stunned. Maybe I should try
some mental training and once guess the lottery numbers... :-)

73 Ben
DL6FBL