[3830] CQWW SSB 6Y4T(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, schmiera@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 6Y4T(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 19:21:04 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6Y4T
Operator(s): W4GE K8AJA N4SF
Station: 6Y5WJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Jamaica
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  273    15       27
   80:  734    18       61
   40: 2058    26       88
   20: 1873    28      100
   15: 1954    26       96
   10:  269    14       22
------------------------------

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Three of us, Rick (W4GE - 6Y4T), David (K8AJA - 6Y4J), and Gay (N4SF - 6Y4F)
travelled to Josh's (6Y5WJ) home in Malvern in St. Elizabeth parish to have a
go at this years's CQWW SSB test. One of our teammates, Steve, (AA4V) was not
able to make it this year, so it came down to 6 hour shifts and 3 hour rest
periods for the three of us over the 48 hour period.  Not too bad actually.

We brought 3 K3s, and an Expert amp, Band pass filters, computers, and all the
other paraphernalia of a multi/2 station.  Before and after the contest we were
able to get on for some CW (6Y4F mostly), and FT8 including some on 60m, 30m and
18m (6Y4T, 6Y4J).  The FT8 especially made a few people quite happy.  QSL cards
will be made and delivered for those sending either SASE US stamped mail, or $2
SAE from DX stations.  All contacts will be uploaded to LoTW, eQSL, and ClubLog.

Josh had up a new HEX beam at 65ft and a phased vertical pointed north to help
the country and contact totals this year.  We brought along 3 pennant RX
antennas that helped immensely on 160, 80, and 40 as Tropical storm Philippe
went by the western side of Jamaica, giving us tropical downpours including
lightning for 5 out of the 7 days we were there. Jenny's cooking was fabulous
as always, with local foods on the table every day.

Our saving grace again this year was our Q total with the US.  The EU wall was
often hard to get through from this location, and our country totals suffered
from it.  Asia open a bit for us as well.

A continuing problem with this prefix is convincing others, especially from SA,
that the number '6' was actually the first character of the call.  It must be
our accent!

Equipment: 3 K3S, Acom 1000 and Expert 1.3K amps, BPFs, and RX preamp.

Antennas: 160m inverted L with elevated radials, 80m dipole toward EU, 80/40m
dipole toward US, 40 m phased verticals pointed North, Hex beam at 64ft, Quad
beam at 40 ft, and 3 pennants pointed N, W, S.

Software:  N1MM+

Thanks to all who contacted us and all that tried and for your politeness and
grace under pressure.  Special thanks to PA4F and W8GEX who helped me (W4GE)
understand the intricacies of the international 60m band.

See you next year!

W4GE and the 6Y4T team