[3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:20:35 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 127  Total Score = 522

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Just a shade over 6 hours. Not as much activity as expected. Things were slow
but pretty steady during the evening hours. Wee hours were empty expanses of
space.

First time with an amp for the Stew, and I still ended up with only my 6th best
score. As the band sounded in pretty good shape all the way across North America
I have to assume  past iterations of the antenna (more horizontal top wire, more
wire in the radial systems) have been better, even with 100W.

Have plenty of inverted-L work ahead this spring. Running high power showed me
that watts in the coax don't mean much if they don't get out. The wire
configuration here needs reworking, and after five years in its current rather
lazy setup the time has come -- as soon as warm wether returns in April. Santa
brought a drone with him, so shold be able to get lines where I need them over
the 100-foot Ponderosa pines on a calm day.

Thanks to all I worked and those who tried to make it work. All the best in
2018.

-- Bud VA7ST

Year Pwr     Qs   Pts  PB rank
==== ====  ====  ====  =======