[3830] RAC Day N8II SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day N8II SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 23:49:17 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    0      0
   80:   11      1       1         1
   40:   61     12       5         5
   20:   83     74       9         9
   15:   32     11       6         7
   10:   11      3       7         3
    6:
    2:
Total:  198    101      28        25  Total Score = 115,858

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Advice to neophytes especially for RAC contests, if you don't want to operate at
the start, you might as well hang it up for a decent score. I was tired and had
forgotten the significance of July 1st somehow until a VE3 I was working just
before the contest reminded me about the Canada Day contest. I felt a bit too
tired at 00Z to contest, started at 0220Z, lost a lot of ground!

>From here on Sunday, it seemed like a lot of Canadian phone ops were out
celebrating rather than operating. I tried to get something going on 40 phone
several times and worked far more non-contest USA guys than VE's! In the last
few minutes I called CQ on 3770 with no answers, found one VE3 CQ'ing. So,
indeed the trajectory of phone activity is in a downward trend, even noticeable
on 20M.

Comparing to last year when I operated almost twice as long (13.5 hours) the
score is pretty respectable. Except for the high static QRN levels (even on 20!)
Saturday night, I would say conditions were better overall than 2017 and think I
worked all provinces in the 150th year. This year, nothing was heard from NL,
NU, or NT. My totals last year were 447 Q's x 58 mults for 178K. This year I
worked a few more mults on 15 and 10 thanks to more widespread Es. VE3CX was
worked a total of 7 times, thanks Tom for all of the Q's (made 1 move 15 to 10
CW, worked both modes 20,15, and 10)! Thanks for all of the Q's; I tried to keep
the ratio of VE/VA's high compared to the rest of the world worth 1/5 to 1/10
less.

73, Jeff