[3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AB1J Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:33:53 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00

   80:   46    18
   40:  120    29
   20:  105    32
   15:   48    23
   10:   36    16
-------------------
Total:  355   118  Total Score = 41,890

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: Baud Boyz

Comments:

As I continue to ride along the entropy arc of the universe, these shorter
contests become more and more appealing. They are short but intense and just
when my body cries "Enough!", they are over. Good and done. Go to
bed.

This time 15m and 10m burst forth from the grave and spiced up everything. That
was a helluva a ride. It made up for the generally poor F2 conditions 80m-20m.
At 2130Z the Es MUF map was lit up like Broadway from sea to shining sea. I hope
the CQ WW VHF guys benefited from it, just as we did.

40m and especially 80m suffered from the early evening signal distortion that
often plagues me.  Usually it goes away by 11 pm or so but seemed to linger
Saturday evening. It made it difficult to work usually easy stations, like N3QE.
I took a look at the antenna handbook today for any clues about it. As night
falls the D and E layers fade away and the F1 and F2 layers combine and decline
through the rest of the night until sunrise. I think these evening transitions
produce the distortion. The funny thing is I never noticed it much on CW, just
RTTY.  Now that I'm aware of it, I can hear it on CW but it's not as irritating
to my ears.  Usually the RTTY demodulators chew right through it, but not
Saturday evening. Tough stuff.

This may be a latitude related thing. I'm at 42.4 north. If anyone knows what's
going on, contact me directly. I'm curious.

I want to thank KK4HEG, N8FYL, NX8G and W4UK for joining me to form the Baud
Boyz team. It adds another dimension of fun to the contest. Kind of a two for
one deal when the scores come out.

Thanks for the Qs.  See you in the CQ-WW-RTTY come September.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM+
20m-15m-10m attic dipoles
80m-40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog