[3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 03:24:36 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:   26    23
   40:  166    61
   20:  263    68
   15:   76    44
   10:
-------------------
Total:  531   196  Total Score = 312,228

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I'm always thankful for the high skill level and persistence of the DX ops in
copying my weak signals - I salute all of you!

Local background noise levels have been high here over the past few months,
somewhat variable with weather, which might indicate power line arc sources.
Have not had much time to track it down, and some neighbors must have plasma TVs
that flood 80 meters with RF junk. Noise levels for the contest weekend ranged
from S9+ on 160 and 80 meters down to S6 on the high bands.  Nevertheless, I
still had a bunch of fun chasing weak DX signals, especially on 15 meters.

I hewed to my sleep/operating plan for the first night, but slept through my
alarm on the second night and missed the EU sunrise action. It is such a
pleasure for this QRP station with one modest antenna to get the early afternoon
opening on 40 meters into EU - most stations hear me on first call, which isn't
always the case as evening draws near.

With no real antennas for 160 and 80 meters, I was not able to capitalize on the
outstanding propagation and low noise conditions that many New England stations
put to good use for personal record-setting Qs and mults on those bands. I kept
checking 10 meters frequently, but never heard any signals nor saw pips on the
panadapter.

Propagation was kinder to me this year than last - just a couple of dB
enhancement of my signal due solely to the improved ionosphere provided a huge
increase in total points over last year: a 60% boost!  Both QSOs and mults were
up substantially on 40,20, and 15 meters, while 80 meters came in about the same
as last year's tallies.

It was a fun contest, and it provided motivation to do something about improving
my antenna complement as spring approaches.  Pileups on 20 meters never seemed
to empty out,especially the one on the Namibia station. It was absolutely
ferocious trying to part the weeds looking for the LP stations with modest
antennas when the band was packed cheek by jowl with high power stations.

I'm glad I improved over last year's score, but I have a long climb back to the
halcyon days of 2013 when I made more than 1000 Qs and 260+ mults. Then again,
there were sunspots in that year........

Many thanks for the Qs, and 73,

Mike, K8CN
Durham NH

Rig: K3/10 @ 5 watts to Lazy H (top doublet at 16 meters AGL, main lobes on 20
meters oriented NE/SW, used to varying degrees of success on bands from 40
meters and up.