[3830] ARRLDX SSB V31VP(@V31DL) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB V31VP(@V31DL) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 03:09:44 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: V31VP
Operator(s): WB0TEV K5PS
Station: V31DL

Class: M/S HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Single All-Band HP
QTH: Belize
Operating Time (hrs): 44:21

  160:  202    46
   80:  722    55
   40: 1016    57
   20: 2895    59
   15:  547    46
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 5382   263  Total Score = 4,246,398

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

There was just the two of us staffing this M/S effort, myself V31VP (WB0TEV),
and Scott V31CQ (K5PS), but we managed to keep BIC for all but about 4 hours,
generally in the wee hours of the morning.

When we flew down from Texas on Tuesday I brought along a suitcase full of wire,
pulleys, a plastic kitchen cutting board with an SO-239 mounted to it and plans
for making an inverted-L with a couple elevated radials for 160m.  Heretofore
the only antenna down here at the Maya Hill shack for 160 was a low windom.
Last year I only managed 2 QSOs on 160m (moves with K3LR and W3LPL as I recall)
and had high hopes that we could up our game on top band.  Spent much of
Thursday getting it strung up and tuned with help from Scott and the station
owner Andre (V31DL).  Would it work?

The answer came the first night when we managed to bank a number of Qs (and most
importantly mults) on Top Band the first time we went to 160.  The 202 QSOs and
46 precious mults were a nice boost to the score.

Rigs: IC-7800, Icom PW-1 amp
Antennas: 160m Inverted L 55 ft up, 85 feet horizontal, two elevated radials 6-8
feet up strung thru the trees.  80m inverted Vee at 60 feet, long windom at ~30
feet for 40m (40m inverted Vee from tower needs maintenance), Cushcraft X7 for
20/15/10 at 65 feet.
SW: N1MM+ on an HP  Windows 7 laptop with extra monitor.

Bands:
160m was in good shape. Noise wasn't that bad.  I'm sure we could have worked
more if we'd had a beverage or some dedicated receive antenna.  That's probably
next on the continuous improvement plan.
80m played quite well, noise was low and propagation opened early and lasted
long.
40m varied from good to "odd" and iffy. We deliberately stayed above
7200 to keep out of the Region 2 QRM.
20m was the  money band during the daylight hours for sure with endless callers
especially after prop from the USA to EU faded and folks started turning their
beams south.
15m was a pleasant surprise. With the dearth of sunspots and the dreary prop
forecast, expectations were tempered at best.  However, after trying to  move a
friend from 20 to 15 around 1830Z Saturday a big run of callers ensued that
lasted the next couple of hours.  More followed in the 1800-2100Z period
Sunday.
10m:  What 10 meters?

US MULT Report:
Worked all 49 on 20 and 40
80m:only missed WY
160m: missed mostly west central US, CO, KS, ND, SD, ID, MT & DC
15m: missed DC and a string of states that were too close AL, FL, GA, NC, SC,
AR, LA, MS, NM
10m: Nada, zilch.
VE MULTS:
Nothing from LB,NT,NU or YT.  Got ON and SK all bands 160-15; NF and PE from
160-20. QC MB AB 80-15. BC 40-15. NS on 20 only.

Scott and I had a blast.  Thanks for all the QSOs. I plan on being back later
this month for CQ WPX SSB.  As always thanks to Andre (V31DL/DL1AS) and his XYL
Monika for the use of their fine station and great hospitality at the Maya Hill
Lodge.

73, Victor