[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 03:07:13 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 38.9

  160:  268    39
   80:  598    52
   40: 1228    54
   20: 1453    59
   15:   92    19
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 3640   224  Total Score = 2,446,080

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7000  WinTest 4.23
Ant:  160-40 Dipoles at 20 feet
       20-10 Cushcraft A4S at 20 feet

Conditions were poor as everyone has remarked. Twenty and forty were the money
bands.  I had no contacts beyond Texas on 160 which is unusual.  I missed some
western mults on 80 that just weren't there.  I never worked Nebraska on any
band.

I checked 15m often and only worked two stations on Saturday that I asked to
move(N5AW and K2RD)and they were ESP.  Around 11 am on Sunday I checked 15 and
heard a very loud PA station.  I called and worked him and moved off frequency.
I got spotted and a ton of stations from PA, MD, DE, WV, and VA called in.  The
band opened to TX, OK, and NM plus a couple CA stations.  I called CQ with very
few answers even though the band was open.  However none of my friends in W1
were in on it.  I believe it was a sporadic E opening as the signals were all
loud.

My only contact on 10m was with W3LPL which we coordinated on 15m.  It took
several tries before there was a 10 second burst to exchange reports.  No other
signals were heard.

I didn't make any concerted effort to move multipliers due to the conditions.
The ones I did were only 25 per cent successful.

This was my 20th consecutive year operating the ARRL DX Contests from Bermuda.
I have been very fortunate to have one of the greatest hosts in the person of
VP9GE.  He is a wonderful guy.

The antennas are not very high but the location is about 1500 feet from the
ocean.  I have very different propagation from the Caribbean.  They enjoy very
good propagation on 15 and 10 which I never get.

I had a great time and enjoyed every minute.  At 77 years it isn't as easy as it
once was.  But that doesn't deter me  I will be back.

73, Kurt W6PH