[3830] WAE SSB K5WA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB K5WA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 19:30:13 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

   80:   33     8    13
   40:  126   138    30
   20:  310   320    26
   15:   11     2     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------------
Total:  480   478    69  Total Score = 253,000

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

What poor conditions between EU and TX.  Wow.  I knew this was going to be a
slog but it was much worse than I imagined.  I could only hang in for 22 hours
and just had to walk away.  Station played well but I don't believe N1MM Logger
likes WAE.  I spent the first 1/3 of the contest with a blank log screen.  It
took several update reloads before I got a log page to appear.  The entry seemed
fine but the log window was blank until the 3rd or 4th time I applied various
updates looking for one that worked.  The YCCC SO2R box interface also needed to
be started very gingerly to get it to work with N1MM but if you were very
careful, it would finally work.  Very frustrating all around.

I purposely had an annoying CQ which mentioned EUROPE every time in order to
encourage stateside NOT to call.  It worked pretty well but there are some real
diehards who are going to work fellow statesiders no matter what.  I hope they
caught on when I asked them to be sure and come back for SS.

Best comment of the contest was when K1AR showed up on Sunday and said
"It's amazing what folks will do to get a free Italian dinner these
days".  He's right!!  K5GN took it easy (pity I think) on me this time by
entering the Texas QSO Party for most of the weekend but he still may have
gotten past me since I left early.  I hope there weren't any other 5's that were
crazier than I was because I sure want 1000 WRTC points for this pain!   ;-)

Thanks for the Q's and glad I usually had some QTC to pass out.

73,
Bob K5WA