[3830] CaQP N6E(W9KKN) SO(A)Fixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6E(W9KKN) SO(A)Fixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 03:54:14 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2020

Call: N6E
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO(A)Fixed HP
QTH: SCLA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:     0      0
   80:   239     77
   40:   376    216
   20:   518    661
   15:    98     62
   10:     2      0
    6:     0      0
    2:     0      0
--------------------
Total:  1233   1016  Mults = 58  Total Score = 332,398

Club:

Comments:

First, some thanks:
  - Tom/NW6P for the hospitality and the use of the station and staying socially
distanced from me while I took over the radio room for the weekend
  - Tim at Flex Radio for helping me resolve a serious problem with the radios
that cropped up at the last hour
  - Glen, Dean, John, Tom, Fred, and everyone involved in the organization of
CQP -- particularly with the SEQUOIA program and the use of the N6E callsign.
What an honor and what a great time!

Last year I did this very same contest, from the very same chair, the same
antennas, the same amplifiers, the same radio, with similar band conditions,
with similar levels of sleep, work stress, etc. -- But I'm not the same operator
I was last year. The results differ considerably from last year's 270k score.
I'm still not where I want to be, but this season's objective is to do better
than last year across the board if possible -- not just in this contest, but in
all of them. I'm not necessarily out to put more chair time in, but I'm trying
to be a lot more strategic about the chair time I do in, practicing, preparing,
planning, and learning more. Having said that, I had some specific goals, too:
  - At least 80% of the K6E/N6MJ score (who was operating from home)
  - Top SOHP score in SCLA
  - Top 3 of SO scores in NCCC

So how did it go? Well, the claimed results aren't all in, but I'm pretty happy
with this one. I had a few fatigue-driven deer-in-headlights moments with CW and
SSB, embarrassingly more frequent when someone like N6TV or AE6Y were calling as
the excitement drew a few more amps and the brain voltages temporarily sagged.
Still, for the most part, I was able to keep a nice clip going both in CW and
SSB and only a few gaffes and QLFs along the way. I think I had pretty much an
optimal off time strategy. Recent health improvements (diet, exercise) made a
noticeable difference in stamina (and I say this coming out of WWRTTY the
previous weekend and being awake for 46 hours), so I'll have to continue with
that and see if I can get ready for upcoming WW's and Sweeps. Tom's station is
working well -- I had a last-minute scare with my radios (neither would boot)
but got that resolved Friday afternoon. I wanted to have all of the new antenna
switching apparatus going, but I just haven't had the time or energy to work on
it lately.

Band observations:

10:  Hah, nope. Locals only. Kept a pan adapter there, CQed a few times for 2
ground wave Q's
15:  Really bad Saturday, but much better Sunday for a brief window. Died very
suddenly on Sunday at 19z, as if someone flipped a switch.
20:  I spent a little more time on SSB than CW, shouldn't have done that.
40:  Went long a few times, opened way early both days to W7/W0.
80:  Good activity on CW, not too much noise.
160: Wasn't able to get an antenna up in time, but had a plan -- the problem is
that plans alone have no RF gain. By my estimate, this would have been worth
maybe 12k points, so not a huge game-changer.

I really didn't need the packet cluster this year, so I think I'm going to ditch
it next year -- much tougher competition there though.

Anyway -- the 2020-2021 contest season has been kicked off with a bang; thanks
for all of the Q's and I'll see you in the next one!

--Bill/W9KKN