[3830] SS CW KE2D SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob_beyer@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW KE2D SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 04:01:28 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KE2D
Operator(s): KE2D
Station: KE2D

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: New Jersey
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
  160:
   80:  188
   40:   75
   20:   53
   15:    8
   10:
------------

Club: South Jersey Radio Association

Comments:

My first sweep in 5 years!
100 watts and all wire antennas.

For the last 4 years I have missed the sweep in CW by just 1 section:
2020 I missed only NT (always difficult from the east coast).
2019 it was MB.
2018 PR and VI were almost non-existent following the hurricanes that year that
left the islands devastated and I missed VI (as did many others).
2017 NNY was extremely scarce and I missed that section.  Many people were
surprised that NNY was so underrepresented that year.
2016 was the last year I swept until now.

This afternoon, KL7SB had a pileup on 20m that looked like the Schuylkill
Expressway at rush hour (I-405 if you’re in LAX or the BQE if you’re in NLI)
so after calling for about 20 minutes I went upstairs to do something else for a
while.  When I came back he had dropped down into the Extra portion of the band
and was weak but there was no pileup.  I worked him on two calls.  Thanks Steve,
great ears!  I was also lucky to get VY0ERC on 40m on Sunday night.  They were
only operating at about 13 wpm but seemed to hear well.  They are way, way above
the Arctic Circle, practically within sight of the ice cap.  Look them up on QRZ
if you get a chance.

In 2019 I called and called VE4VT forever on 40m and 80m and never got through.
This year he called me while I was running on 40m (thank you Ed).  I also worked
VE4EA.  You never know how it’s going to go.

I actually expected not to sweep but just have some fun playing.  Then on Sunday
afternoon, I realized I only needed 4 sections.  Half an hour later it was 2; AK
and NT of course.  At that point I felt I had to give it a try.  When I worked
AK, I thought; “Ok.  It’s going to be a repeat of 2020.  No NT again this
year.”  VY0ERC had gone QRT from 20m and VY1AAA was exceedingly faint but
there was hope.  Then a K6 station took his frequency.  I guess he didn’t hear
him.  It wouldn’t get dark in the Yukon until shortly before the end of the
contest so the hope of working VY1AA on 40m seemed remote.  Luckily the team at
VY0ERC QSY’d to 40m and I bagged them there.  Great effort by the team there.

73,
Bob – KE2D