[3830] OF5M CQ WW CW m/s

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OF5M CQ WW CW m/s
From: Ilkka.Korpela@Helsinki.FI (Ilkka korpela, OH1WZ)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:27:05 -0800
CQ WW DX CONTEST
CW 1997

OF5M
Peter Tigerstedt, OH5NQ
Mustila
47200 Elimäki

Multi op. - Single TX
CLUB CONTEST: CONTEST CLUB FINLAND, CCF

Band            Qsos            Countries       Zones           Points
160               101            57             12               133
80                242            90             26               354
40                649           100             32              1225
20               1400           103             34              3067
15                858           115             37              2189
10                 71            70             27               164
                3321            535             168             7132

Score: 7132 x (535+168) = 5.013.796

Ops: Ilkka, OH1WZ; Juha, OH5CW; Tapani, OH5MLH; Pertti OH5TQ.
Stn: OH5NQ in Elimäki Finland.

  The first CW-effort from Mustila when PC?s were seriously used.
Experiment was partly succesful and partly not. We could only run the
PC-network for the first 4 hours. Then we suddenly had bad RF-problems
on 14 Mhz making logging a bit cumbersome for the remaining part of the
contest. Still we managed somehow.

  Introduced 2 new operators to the station: Juha, OH5CW and Tapani
OH5MLH proved to be skilled ops that manned the pile-ups with style.
Still I?m sure that we will improve our scores in the future as we gain
more experience in contesting and m/s-operating.

 Things we learned:  i) 4 ops isn?t enough in m/s, ii) Check your setup
for RF-problems before the contest, iii) Be prepared for equipment
failures. iv) Don?t use technically poor receivers on 160/80 or bad
equipment at all - it will save your nerves.

  Big thanks to Peter, OH5NQ for letting us use his station once again.
Never before has his shack been so crowded with men and equipment! We
would also like to wish our graditude to Axel, OH5NW for arranging
housing and other logistics. Axel also kept us well aware of the
importance of propagation & well defined tactics.

Ilkka, OH1WZ