[3830] WPX CW VE7FO very long

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE7FO very long
From: jimsmith@home.com (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:13:49 -0700
Will post score later.  Wanted to get this out while it may still be of
some interest.

The next chapter in the continuing saga of VE7FO's attempt to create and
operate a credible contest station, given the following constraints.

        Station
                I live on a 33x120 city lot
                I live with a woman

        Operator
                I'm getting old.  Outsiders might say that my view of myself is
behind
the times and that my use of the present participle is inappropriate.

Chapter WPX CW 2001

Preparation

        Station
          I had hoped to move the shack from the 2nd floor (1/4 wave on 20 from
ground) to the basement by now but didn't quite make it.
          Disconnected the printer from the parallel port and hooked up the
TRLog keying interface which is haywired on an old SK10 breadboard
socket.

        Operator
                I finally got around to getting the TRLog contest simulator to
play
through my earphones so I could get some much needed cw practice.  I
dumped all my contest logs (6 month's worth in my present contesting
incarnation) into the TR database so I could practice with real calls
that have come through my radio.  After a few hours WB6 sounded natural
(in my last ham incarnation there was W6 and a only a few K6) and I even
stopped putting 7L into ZL land.  I prefer the simulator to other code
practice programs that I have tried because you have to get the call
right or the simulator complains, and you log the call just as you would
in a real contest (once you have dealt with it saying, "U got my call
wrong.  It is .......".)  All the while you see the QSO completion
hourly rate.  i.e. the more mistakes the worse the rate.  While using
the simulator I had an epiphany, if not a downright religious
experience.  With the speed set to a modest 23 wpm (yes, that was me
methodically grinding out Qs in WPX CW at 20 wpm) I was up to short
periods of 120 completed Qs per hour over a 2 or so hour period.  In a
blinding flash of light I realized 3 things.  (OK, everyone but me
already knew these.)

                1.      I'm never going to get a good score by sifting through
the bands
using S&P, I have to call CQ a lot, however boring.
                2.      I have to do whatever I can to make my CQ hearable (see
city lot
and woman above).
                3.      The ops at the high rate stations who can maintain
these rates for
hours are to be greatly respected.

What actually happened