Amps

Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp? --- ( Itnow Functio

To: "'Chuck Curran'" <ccurran@wi.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp? --- ( Itnow Functions)
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:50:39 -0500
Good testing Chuck.  You confirmed what I had said earlier this week.  The
maximum plate load impedance for the 852 is around 1400-1500 Ohms and
responds best down in the 1000 range.

SO you have three options here.  Rewind your coil (cheap), buy an 852A
(medium) which you will have to take turns off, or lower your plate voltage
and raise the current (very expensive).  (The amp then will probably not
make 1500W)

It could be possible to just add a few turns to the coil.  Making the turns
closer together would also help, but not enough to make it fly.
Refrigeration copper tube is what the coil was made from in the first place,
then silver flashed.  I buy refer tubing at the local ACE hardware.  I use
it for tesla coil primaries too.

Now I did see some photos back in the olden days of a guy who taped a few
ferrite rods together and supported them inside the 80 meter portion of the
coil.  I always thought that was rather cheesy, but it works.

You are not going to want the padder caps on the plate cap if you can avoid
it.  But you will need to get the PLI up to get within the range of your
vacuum variable. Remember the Cout of the tubes does add in the C1 number.
The loading cap padder will have to handle more current and is very
susceptible to heating and moving around.  Tuning will be constantly
changing unless you have enough current ability there.

I happen to have two NOS 30 YO B&W switch contacts in the parts bin.  They
are good for adding 160 or a 3.5 position to switch in more loading cap to
hit the bottom of the band.

Once you get this working on 80, you get to sweat the rest of the bands.  I
finally found for some of my larger amps the manufactured B&W coils were
more trouble than they were worth and I started making all of my own.

Hope it all goes well.

BOB DD