Amps

Re: [Amps] Bandswicth failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bandswicth failure
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:56:00 -0500

> The SB-220 switch is from the same Centralab family used in
> the lower voltage Ameritron amps, Dentron amps, and many
> other places. Like any switch, it has a variety of breakdown
> voltages depending on what contact to what other contact and
> even how the soldering is done on the switch. Like any
> system with high voltages, the shape of conductor surface
> where it extends and everything around it is nearly as
> important as the spacing for determining breakdown voltage.

So true, Tom, as I have had my share of switch failures over the years due
to poor lead dress, improper soldering techniques, and poor layout. I
remember that on the Heath SB-1000 they had you install a flat washer over
one of the band switch solder lugs to beef up the voltage carrying
capabilities and act as a pseudo-corona ball.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC