Amps

[AMPS] need help with old amp supply lk-500z amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] need help with old amp supply lk-500z amp
From: n1nk@home.com (Jim Spears)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:53:26 -0400
greetings fellow ampians,

I was inactive for a few years and after moving to rhode island and putting
a station back together I discovered that the lk-500 had problems.  started
looking at things and suspect power supply area is the culprit.  initial
power up had no high voltage but every other thing looked ok.  tubes lit up,
fan turned, etc.

first thing I ran into was the manual for the amp did not have a schematic
for the power supply portion.  if someone has one and could mail, scan and
email, or fax to me I would greatly appreciate it.

one problem that I see for sure is a blown wire wound resistor.  label says
5W1'ohm symbol'J  so I assume that means it is a 5 watt 1 ohm wire wound
device.

right now I am trying to figure out how to get at the board to determine if
the filter caps, diodes, and other parts are bad or good.  looking like
major dissambly.

jim spears
N1NK
n1nk@arrl.net -> n1nk@home.com