Amps

Re: [Amps] exciter overshoot

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <Gudguyham@aol.com>,<gd0tep@safe-mail.net>, <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, <ka1xo@juno.com>,<kloc@commspeed.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] exciter overshoot
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:34:55 -0400
I agree with Peter's comment about using ALC.  The original intent
of ALC, if my memory serves me correctly, was to prevent overdrive
of an amplifier.  But it came to be used as a crude form of  "speech
processing", as in the word "compressor."  But since those olden
days, a wonderous variety of much more effective speech processors
has been developed.  Today I think the very finest and most accurate
method of level control is the oscilloscope.  Use low-level speech
processing along with the scope and disconnect the ALC!

- Jim WB6BLD