Amps

[Amps] Various Amps For Sale Part II kg6i@hughes.net

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Various Amps For Sale Part II kg6i@hughes.net
From: "John Farber" <kg6i@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:11:47 -0000
Here's a bit more info on my amplifiers for sale:

I need to clean the shack (and the garage). I have several amps and
in-progress amps I'd like to sell at very reasonable prices if there is
interest in them.
1. Pair of 3-500 Z HF or dedicated 6 m amp. HB conversion amp I built, using
a Hallicrafters HL-33 chassis, pair of 3-500Zs. Separate, outboard HD HV PS
running 3.5 kV, with step-start for the HV. The amp deck has a step-start
ckt for the filaments as well. I got 1300 W out when driving with 100 W
exciter, 1500 W out when driving with about 150 W in (a bit less on 160 and
10 m), or typical for a pair of 3-500Zs. I built it originally as a 160-10 m
HF amp and used it for 15 years in that configuration. I then bought an
Alpha 99, so I decided to convert my old HB amp to a dedicated 6 m amp. I
got as far as removing the HF tank, winding a new filament choke, and
started on the output circuit when I found a HB 6m amp and bought it. So now
I have my old amp just sitting. I still have all the tank parts, so if
you're an amp builder type you could put the tank ckt back in and have a
nice 160-10m linear.
2. HB HF amp I bought and am no longer using. Single 4-1000A, pair of
Jennings vac-variables in the tank. Big box chassis, very well made. 80-10,
uses an outboard PS in a 3-ft high roll-around rack. Big Variac to adjust
the HV. Step-start circuit. Big oil-filled filter caps, a serious amp. It
blew the original HV xfmr and I replaced it with a Peter Dahl unit, will do
close to 1500 W out as configured but I believe higher B+ is needed to
really make the amp "sing". Again, if interested, we can discuss price. Both
units are heavy, so they must be
picked up in the Santa Cruz Mtns. area near San Jose, CA.
3. 6 meter unfinished project amplifier deck. I also have an unfinished
dedicated 6 m amp deck, using a single 4-1000A tube, with the Eimac cast
aluminum "air system socket". I has an onboard
filament xfmr, but I used another HV supply for another amp to test it, so
you would have to come up with the HV supply and a blower. It is still in
rather crude "prototype form" but the input matching circuit is installed
and works, the tank circuit is installed and works and uses a neat little
Jennings vac variable cap. They both resonate well and provided a good match
to my exciter and into a 50 ohm dummy load. I originally built it to be a
tetrode amp, powered by my FT-726R (10 W output on 6m). I was able to get it
to amplify, 8 W in gave me 800 W out, BUT I never cured the problem of
oscillation. Wired as a tetrode, it also has a +900 V screen supply, and I
suspect that needs better regulation. The design was printed in QST and was
from a W1 if I remember, (W1QJ or some such call) I probably still have the
article I built it from, if not, I'm sure you could get your hands on a
reprint. You could just convert it to g.g. triode mode and drive it with a
100 W exciter. It's
just sitting on my shack floor, so I'm willing to part with it for a
reasonable (low) price. It's about 1 square ft by 17 inches or so, with a
good tube. I even have a couple meters to go with it. I never got as far as
making the meter front panel. I can take photos if you like. I'd like to
sell it, as I've moved on to other projects. This could be shipped in two
boxes, the deck in one and the tube in the other.
I could take photos of some of these (the roll around 3 ft PS rack is buried
in the garage). We can discuss price if you are interested.
Thanks, John, kg6i@hughes.net