Amps

Re: [Amps] Plate choke explodes

To: "'Eddy Swynar'" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate choke explodes
From: "Drax Felton" <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:03:06 -0400
It was an Ohmite Z-50 choke that exploded the first time.  That's what Orr
Radio Handbook 23rd edition uses on its 6m amp.

On 2013-04-12, at 9:07 AM, Drax Felton wrote:

So I've tried two different plate choke designs on my 6 meter 8877 amp I'm
trying to build.   Both times the plate chokes have violently exploded as
soon  as I apply 5 watt or less RF input to the amp.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Hi Drax,

Sounds like a classic case of "resonant  plate choke" to me...

Did you ever couple the choke to a grid dip meter beforehand, to see where
its natural resonance(s) may have been...? Most likely there was one right
in the middle of 6-meters someplace, for it to have self-destructed so
violently...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ