Amps

Re: [Amps] AL-80B transformer tap

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80B transformer tap
From: "James M. Daly" <AD1L@AD1L.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:17:23 -0400
Carl,
Thank you for your concise reply, and the warm and fuzzy feeling it
imparted.

I will take the hint, and I will post no further under this subject, and do
my own experimenting. But when you don't have the experience where do you
turn, we have all got to learn somewhere.

I could have gone ahead and set it for 240 right off the bat, heck most
people probably would do that without even bothering to checking their
actual line voltage. But I wanted to learn something and then Tom's comments
on it being hard on the components other then the tube gave me pause for
thought.

It is not that I am really even that worried about the cost off the amp, it
is a starter model for me, something to learn on before moving on. That is
not to say that $1250 is a drop in the bucket, but I would be more worried
about the inconvenience of having it break then the actual long term
survivability.

So if you combine that with my profound lack of experience, and desire to
learn then some folks might understand why I was tentative about how to
proceed.

But as I say, I thank you and everyone else for their input, and I will
trouble you no more on the subject.

Peace
James - AD1L