Amps

[AMPS] Which one?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Which one?
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Colin Lamb)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:40:14 -0700
Hi Jim:

Interesting question.  I probably should answer privately, but it is an
interesting point.

The Alpha 99 has wonderful protection circuits in it.  It is a later version
of the 91b.  The 4CX800 tubes are presently very inexpensive.  It would come
new with a new warranty.  I think the protection circuit in the 99 is even
better than that of the 89.  If you stock up on a few spares, the 99 will be
cheaper than the 89 - especially if you purchase new spares.

The Alpha 89 is a rugged workhorse.  But, the tubes are used and more
expensive to replace.

Both are good amplifiers and you will not go wrong with either.

I would choose the 99.  I own a number of commercial and home built
amplifiers and do not need another, but really like the 99 and might buy one
anyway.

Colin  K7FM