Amps

Re: [Amps] Alpha

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 07:49:38 -0400
At some point in the future, 87A prices may reach a point where it's
worthwhile to own a donor unit, especially as 3CX800A7 tubes become more
expensive to purchase.  I see the most problematic replacement parts being
the ROM/RAM chip sets, and Tx PIN diodes.

For those like me who will own their 87A amps until kaput, consider
purchasing an extra set of TX PIN diodes before they're gone as that part is
now obsolete by Microsemi.  The original MA/COM MA4P4006D PIN diode was
subsequently renamed as the UM4006D when Microsemi took over the product
line.  The "D" suffix signifies an isolated #4 stud mount.  Although other
high-power PINs can be used, it's nice to take advantage of the 87A's
"thru-panel" heat sink.

Richardson RF has the PIN diodes on close-out.  This spring they had a
supply of 275+ diodes.  Today, stock level is 50 units and I doubt more will
be manufactured in the isolated stud-mount version.   Price is only USD
$24.75 in small quantities.  That's much less than original pricing.  Two
UM4006D diodes are used in the 87A/89.

http://www.richardsonrfpd.com/Pages/Product-Details.aspx?productId=855450

Paul, W9AC