Amps

Re: [Amps] 3-500zgs

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500zgs
From: "Jason Buchanan" <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:14:57 -0500

> Couldn't it be that the graphites are totally different material than the
> standard Eimacs?

I'm sure that's 99% of it.  Although my old Amperex 8163s will get orange as
well, it just takes them longer which is why I guessed at it being a thicker
material.  And likewise it takes quite a while for the exhaust air
temperature to drop.

But as SM0AOM inferred previously, there's graphites and then there's
graphites - the older graphites weren't meant to withstand orange the way
the new graphite design tubes do.  I can't remember where I read about
that - the term was "graphite poisoning" and perhaps it was Mr. Measures'
site or thereabouts.  I honestly do not remember.

I've foolishly packed my Amperex 8163s away in packing cartons and replaced
them with old Eimac 3-400Z tubes for the sole purpose of viewing their glow
during operation.  I get a comfortable 500W in CW position with dull orange
color - those tubes aren't up to the task of a sustained KW on SSB position.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough $$$ to purchase another 7dB so losing the
glow for another 3 or 4dB won't cut it for me.

Although I will say the Acom 1000 I had was VERY nice.

73 Jason N1SU

--
Jason Buchanan - Boxboro, MA  FN42fl
Website: http://n1su.com/